Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewashing batting >

Prewashing batting

Prewashing batting

Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the great info on batting and prewashing - I have never prewashed and when I wash them they get the "old-fashion" look. Now I know how to "pre-wash" when I don't want that look.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM

I prewash batting only when I don't want it to shrink such as for placemats or table toppers. As you saw, it shrinks. Instructions on preshrinking is on the package. I don't know if you can preshrink all batting. The batting shrinks in the dryer, so soak it without using agitation, then run it through the spin cycle. Then stick in the dryer on low. Dry only until it is just damp. Then take out and spread out to complete the drying process.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
An easy way to pre-shrink batting is spritz it with water until it's fairly damp and then put it in the dryer. The heat of the dryer does most of the shrinkage anyway.
That is what I do too to remove any wrinkles at the same time !!!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I pre-shrink batting( unless its poly) for tablerunners . I soak in the washingmachine overnight , and spin, then dry . I use mostly Warm and Natural for runners as I prefer the structure of this batting for runners, and it will take pre-shrinking well.
This is what I do, too. I would rather have it shrink before I quilt it. It still puckers a little to give it that old fashion, snuggly look but not nearly as much.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM

This is what I do and workd like a charm. Usually only need to dry on low for 7 to 10 minutes.
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
An easy way to pre-shrink batting is spritz it with water until it's fairly damp and then put it in the dryer. The heat of the dryer does most of the shrinkage anyway.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM

I just finished making 3 table toppers and only used flannel in them. If I were to wash batting, it would be by hand only.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

I also like the crinkly look.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you can purchase batting that does not shrink- many people use fusable fleece or the thinnest batting they can find for table toppers-
most batts do have instructions on the packaging for pre-shrinking if you really feel it's necessary
also the more quilting done the less shrinkage occurs....so densly quilting will keep shrinkage to a minimum.
what ever batting you have you should follow the instructions on the package though- they are all different- and i could tell you one way-and your batting could come out shredded- a horrible mess-
i never ever deal with pre-shrinking- i read the packages before i buy them and buy the one that works best for my project
i usually make runners for my mom & aunt- they like them to stay really flat- i use inexpensive single sided flannel i pick up for $1 a yard- that i do pre-wash- and dry in a hot dryer- then i use it for batting- works out great.
different batts shrink different amounts- or not at all- and have different (lofts) , quilting recommendations- choose the batt that works best for your project-
the packaging contains a wealth of information (including pre-shrinking instructions)
I like your tip about using flannel. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

ckcowl said it well - decide what look you want - look at the battings - read the instructions - and follow them!

I've had good success with washing warm and natural battings.
I've also totally destroyed a couple of battings that looked like they would wash okay.

Learn and live.