Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Prices of Sewing Machine Check-up and Cleaning

Until recently, it had been YEARS since I'd quilted or used a sewing machine. Back then, I lived in a small town and my machine was periodically cleaned by a retiree who worked out of his home. In 2002, he charged me $20 .

So it was a bit of sticker shock when I asked the local vacuum/sewing store what they'd charge to clean my "new" old machine: $85. Is this the standard going rate now? (and, yes, I know $20 was A Deal, even back then)

My Bernina guy charges $79 for service and cleaning.

Blog Entries
    $50 basic here. I was lucky - I had mine done for $29.95 as a special when the LQS changed hands. I will have to do my 'new' old girl myself. I can't pay $50 to have a $35 machine cleaned.

Yep, that's the rate in Houston TX too. I have found a link to learn how to do this yourself - it's $40 for the e-book, and you can do it and never pay anyone again....even make some $$$ on the side if you're interested in that! Here's the link:

http://www.repairsewingmachine.com/?hop=vommbat

Banned
    I paid to have my Singer Ingenuity serviced and it cost $85.00 and when I brought in my old singer he looked at it and oiled it saying it didnt need any servicing.

Blog Entries
    Seems to be a going rate :D:D:D

I paid $65 for my embroidery/sewing machine to be cleaned and serviced at my LQS. Thought that was fair. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    Yep, that's the rate in Houston TX too. I have found a link to learn how to do this yourself - it's $40 for the e-book,
    I'm south of Houston; seems we pay Big City prices for everything.

As for the DIY cleaning, Lostn51 has a thorough tutorial on the vintage thread about how to REALLY clean a machine. But that's just not something I'd trust myself to attempt...I'd either lose a piece or forget where something is supposed to go!

That seems the going price. Our LQS has classes on cleaning your machine. I think I may go that root........I'll save money in the long run.

If the machine is non computerized, the guy I use charges $70, if computerized, $95.

$99 here for basic maintenance- of course, cost of living here is high. I would be terrified to try to do it on my own!

Banned
    I'm going to pick up mine this afternoon...I have no idea what he is charging:>) I'll find out soon enough!

Wow. you are lucky. The last time I had my Pfaff serviced it was 119.00. I get 65.00 for cleaning, oiling, and adjusting Featherweights. But, when I am done they look like new.

Banned
    $65 here, for a computerized ambroidery and sewer. I think that is very fair. I love our sewing shop!

$75 is the going rate here!!

Gee,I am lucky. So lucky, my dear hubby just cleaned & oiled my 99 today and my 15 gets done tomorrow! Another one of his Christmas gifts to me that he does throughout the year.

I just paid $200 for mine to be serviced. That is the yearly service, nothing more than oiling and cleaning it. Of course, this is the only dealership within a 50 mile radius and they are certified. I will NOT be going back there again.

we pay $75 here for cleaning and oiling or whatever the basic is.

Quote Originally Posted by joan_quilts
    I just paid $200 for mine to be serviced. .
    Gasp! I hope you knew beforehand what the amount of bill was going to be (or that you threw a fit if you were misled!).

At Hancock Fabrics in MN the cost for a sewing maching tune-up is $49.00. Guess that is a good price after reading the messages.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
    Until recently, it had been YEARS since I'd quilted or used a sewing machine. Back then, I lived in a small town and my machine was periodically cleaned by a retiree who worked out of his home. In 2002, he charged me $20 .

So it was a bit of sticker shock when I asked the local vacuum/sewing store what they'd charge to clean my "new" old machine: $85. Is this the standard going rate now? (and, yes, I know $20 was A Deal, even back then)
    Here is Northern VA (DC Suburbs) the going rate is $89.00 for basic service (cleaning etc.). Any parts or additional work is extra.

I just paid $95.00 for basic check -up and cleaning . My non-computerized machine is so easy to care for, I can oil it and clean it myself. Just one of the reasons I favor the simple mechanical machines. My computerized machine costs me every year to maintain, and I can not "get to " all the areas to clean it like on the mechanical.

Yes that seems to be the going rate here also, I was a little surprized as the dealer used to cut us a deal that bought their machines from him but guess that has went by the wayside. Cost of living gone up everywhere. I wouldn't attempt to clean my computerized one but the other one I do.

Patti Sue

My Viking and Pfaff computerized embroidery machines run me $35. The requirement being that I do it yearly

$79 is what the LQS charges here. Thank goodness I teach classes there, and do a lot of the store samples, so it's one of my perks. I usually have them tuned once a year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast