Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
printed cloth leaders >

printed cloth leaders

printed cloth leaders

Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM

Default printed cloth leaders

Yesterday I posted a question about cloth leaders for quilting frames, and want to say "thank you" to all who answered my post.I have leaders that I made and have been using them for a year or so.They are well made and strong .My question now is are the printed one worth all the money? I thought this would be a good addition to my hobby, maybe help in loading and saving time by getting everything set straight quicker,but after looking and reading all the reviews I am now thinking will they be any help to me? Do any of you ladies(and gentlemen)have and use the printed ones and would you recomend them?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 PM

My leaders are plain cloth. I use measuring tapes on my bars. An inexpensive alternative.

I have the marked leaders, but have been saving them until I can expand my frame to its full potential.

Last edited by DebraK; 11-24-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure marked leaders add much, if anything.

I do think adding Red Snappers or a homemade snap-on system helps. See this video that shows how quickly you can load without measuring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzGyf_lO4nE
I am in the process of adding a homemade snap-on system to my frame:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t234134.html
I had already installed zippers on my leaders, but realized that when I sew the backing to the zipper tape my sewing machine is stretching the backing. I'm thinking a clamp-on method will be more realistic in terms of keeping the tension on the middle of the quilt the same as the tension on the very top and bottom.

I also think it's valuable to add a long measuring tape to the frame to make sure that the quilt continues to be tensioned properly from side-to-side as you quilt:
http://www.tkquilting.com/longarm_centering_tape.html
You have lots of markers on this tape to mark block placement, inside borders, outside edges, etc.

If you do want marked leaders, it is actually more accurate to mark the leaders *after* they are on the frame. That way you can make sure that all the centers match. If you have pre-printed leaders, it's much harder to get all of them aligned perfectly on the rails.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 PM

to be clear, when I bought my set up, she threw in the marked leaders. They were for the full extension of the frame. I didn't want to cut them. I've never had the benefit of using them. I've not missed them.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 AM

I have a set of marked ones that I seldom use because I don't usually make quilts that large and they are cumbersome for smaller quilts. I made a set that is smaller, marked the centers and have no problems using them.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I have the marked leaders, I do not feel they make a great difference. I have marked the centers and do not pay much attention the markings on them. I still use measuring tape to make sure I am accurate.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Question from a newbie...what are marked leaders?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 AM

that really is the main point. Painters tape on the sides (bars) of the quilt works great as guideline. As you can tell, I am not a professional ;-)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Klaws,They are cloth( such as duck cloth) that is used to pin the backing, batting and top to in a quilt frame.These cloths remain on the frame in different lenghts on the different poles.The backing is the first to be pulled up ,to the top take up pole and these leaders are what the backing is pinned to,and ect.The" marked"leaders have lines in inch or so intervals.Use to help square quilts with and keep them running straight while you quilt them.If my answer has completely messed you up you can google how to load a quilt in a frame,and you will see and understand better. Sometimes when I load a quilt in the frame to quilt, I find my backing; even when I use straight edge, my backing on one side wants to be a tad bit floppy like it is not squared up I am worried this will make my quilts look warpped.So that is why I ask if marked leaders are helpful and worth the extra money.Hope this helped.