Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "A" (as in applique) word (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22%22-applique-word-t63174.html)

auntmag 09-05-2010 03:52 PM

I mostly fuse. I use Heat n Bond, also Steam a Seam. I have done needle turn, but not a lot. I almost always do a satin stitch around the edges.

leaha 09-05-2010 04:09 PM

I have tried several ways, I really like freezer paper. This is what I do. cut out freezer paper just as you want finished applique to be, then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around, place fabric right side down, center freezer paper on fabric shiny side up, fold over the 1/4 inch and press with a dry iron, all the way round. after cool remove freezer paper. and lay in bits of fusable thread, and heat with the tip of your iron, Now your applique bit is ready to put onto your back ground, either by machine or by hand, I also put a few bits of fusable thread to hold applique bit to the background.
Hope that is understandable. :-)

Sadiemae 09-05-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by leaha
I have tried several ways, I really like freezer paper. This is what I do. cut out freezer paper just as you want finished applique to be, then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around, place fabric right side down, center freezer paper on fabric shiny side up, fold over the 1/4 inch and press with a dry iron, all the way round. after cool remove freezer paper. and lay in bits of fusable thread, and heat with the tip of your iron, Now your applique bit is ready to put onto your back ground, either by machine or by hand, I also put a few bits of fusable thread to hold applique bit to the background.
Hope that is understandable. :-)

Interesting. I hadn't heard all of this before, just part of it.

scowlkat 09-05-2010 06:25 PM

I love to needle turn when I am watching tv or sitting in a doctor's office. However most of the time, I machine applique. I use Steam A Seam 2 but in order to cut down on the stiffness, after tracing the shape onto the Steam A Seam 2, I cut the center out of the center of the Steam A Seam 2 so there is only a minimal amount of the bonding agent left. I personally prefer a satin stitch and have never cared for raw edge unless it is for a wall hanging only.

I suggest you try all the methods out on the same piece (maybe applique a heart on a square) and give yourself a valid comparison.

Good luck and hope you find a method you enjoy.

Pamela Artman 09-05-2010 06:33 PM

I love to hand applique but I am at the point where I am ready to try machine applique just to finish a project sooner! Not sure I will like the look as much though.

buffy2 09-05-2010 06:45 PM

I use wonder- under and hand applique. Love doing it. The fall I am going to try neddle turn applique

earthwalker 09-05-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by humbird

Originally Posted by littlehud
I tried hand applique and didn't like it. I do applique on my machine.

I do just the opposite here. I tried machine applique and didn't like it. I do applique by hand.

I just couldn't feel comfortable using my machine to applique...I really love sitting in the evenings and doing handwork. Not a fan of fusible...I find it makes the fabric a little stiff.

Janis 09-05-2010 09:05 PM

I hand applique. I draw my pattern on the non iron side of iron on fusible interfacing. I then place it with the iron on side to the right side of the fabric and sew around the drawn line. I cut out both layers with a 1/4 " seam allowance, and clip my curves and cut off the excess at the points. I then cut a slit in the fusible, and turn the piece right side out. I then set it with the iron where I want to sew it onto my background, and then hand applique it down.

ckcowl 09-06-2010 01:37 AM

i do lots of applique...by hand, by machine, by english paper piecing, by fusing...how ever the project needs to be done. I just love applique..never thought about not being a 'true appliquer' if i don't hand applique everything...hmmmmm to me applique is applique, the technique does not matter. when i do fusable applique i usually use heat n bond lite or wonder under (just depends on which lqs i stop at which one is carried.) for machine applique it depends on the project, some i use a buttonhole stitch, sometimes a straight stitch, sometimes an invisible hem stitch. for hand applique i use a buttonhome stitch, or an invisible stitch, or a straight stitch. for fusable i still use stitching....what ever stitch i want to use on the project i am working on.
there is no reason to be intimidated by applique it is a fun technique that opens up all kinds of possibilities and you have so many choices of technique. try stained glass applique, it is very forgiving and the creations are terrific even when you are new to the technique.

starlight 09-06-2010 02:37 AM

I recently did a machine applique. I think that I am going to go back to hand applique as I was not pleased with the way that it turned out.