Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The "A" (as in applique) word

Blog Entries
    I see so many absolutely stunning quilts that many of you share with us and I assume, I know that's a terrible word, that they are all hand applique.

I have been quilting for over 25 years but have yet to do very much of it. I think I am a little intimidated by the whole idea of appliqueing anything but a very simple block. I'm wondering how many of you out there do the real thing and how many either machine applique or fuse. If you machine, do you use a buttonhole stitch or a satin stitch and if you fuse, what's the best fusible you use? What method works best for you? What tips can you give me? I need some help getting motivated and am hoping that your experience will light a fire under me. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I machine applique with Heat n Bond . My machine has an applique stitch that I adjust a little , to make it smaller .

I just recently started applique also :wink: AND love it :lol:

I am not a fan of applique. BUT I have done it both ways--machine and hand. I hate hand work, but love the look of hand applique better than machine. Some can get the corners looking great with a machine, mine look like a disaster.... I usually do button hole stitch by hand and satin on machine (because of the disaster with button hole) I ALWAYS use some form of fusing. The last hand applique I did I use Steam a Seam 2 and it was very thick for me and difficult to needle. When I use a cheap fuse from a bolt from Jo-anns I don't have that problem. You just need to try different things to see what you like and go from there. Good luck on your adventure!

I fuse with Steam-a-Seam2 (or some other lighter brand, can't recall the name), and then buttonhole stitch around the edge on the smallest length/width settings that my machine will do to secure it down. It opens up a lot of possibilities! :)

I've done the "regular" way always, and have just recently tried machine applique and freezer paper. I hate both, LOL!

I love the regular needle turn applique. I could sit and do it for hours.

Blog Entries
    I have used fusible and then machine appliqued around it. It is definitely not my favorite thing to do, but I just played with all of the different stitches on my machine. I really like the feather stitch.

I do a lot of applique. Even though I love the look of hand applique, I don't do it. I hate hand work. I do raw edge machine applique. I fuse with wonder-under and depending on what I'm doing, I will use the applique stitch on my machine, which looks like a botton hole stitch, or the zig zag stitch. I use the zig zag stitch for more details work, like when I'm appliquing Airedales.

Banned
    I only hand applique. It is so relaxing and it is also good to grab and go when you are going to be waiting around.

Hand applique can be relaxing. I've only done a little bit of machine applique. I guess I 'm not comfortable doing it in case I have to rip out. I hate ripping out.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I do some hand work but only if I want to go for the "rustic" look. SOmehow, my curves get a little choppy.

For machine applique, I like steam-a-seam 2 and I secure with a blanket stitch. If the piece is large, I trim the interfacing so the center of the piece is not stiff. I hear that steam-a-seam light also cuts down on the stiffness.

Blog Entries
    I've done needle turn for Hawaiian applique' but haven't tried any other type (yet).

Blog Entries
    I love to do applique work. My favorite method is invisible machine applique using the freezer paper method. Harriet Hargrave's book is *excellent* for explaining the different methods of machine applique. I have an older version, but here is a link to the latest edition of her book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...dp/157120136X/

The one thing I do differently is I use Elmer's school paste (comes in a jar, smells like peppermint) and my finger to turn the edges over the freezer paper. I find this much faster than Harriet's glue stick method.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I do a lot of applique. Even though I love the look of hand applique, I don't do it. I hate hand work. I do raw edge machine applique. I fuse with wonder-under and depending on what I'm doing, I will use the applique stitch on my machine, which looks like a botton hole stitch, or the zig zag stitch. I use the zig zag stitch for more details work, like when I'm appliquing Airedales.

Me too, me too, me too. Except I don't do Airedales.

The only way I do any applique is with wonder under and machine stitching. I'll do raw edge with invisible thread on some things and with a blanket stitch on other things if I want a more rustic or folk art style look.

have to agree with you it is my most favourite way of creating a quilt top
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I've done the "regular" way always, and have just recently tried machine applique and freezer paper. I hate both, LOL!

I love the regular needle turn applique. I could sit and do it for hours.

I took a class on a technique that combines needle turn and fuseable. I just love it, but don't know what the actual name is. Check out Lorraine's Garden in the picture section. I did the whole thing with this technique. Look at the points!!! It sure simplifies everything.

Having just recently begun a new applique quilt I decided to try fusing on the first block.

I wasn't too keen and have now gone back to needle turn on my second block. Content and relaxed.

Joanne

I tried hand applique and didn't like it. I do applique on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I tried hand applique and didn't like it. I do applique on my machine.
    I do just the opposite here. I tried machine applique and didn't like it. I do applique by hand.

After extensive research, I have discovered that applique is actually impossible. People who disagree are just faking it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbin along
    After extensive research, I have discovered that applique is actually impossible. People who disagree are just faking it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol: :lol:

Me, well I'm trying all sorts of things at the moment, and still don't know where I'm going with it. But I just love applique.

I mostly fuse. I use Heat n Bond, also Steam a Seam. I have done needle turn, but not a lot. I almost always do a satin stitch around the edges.

Blog Entries
    I have tried several ways, I really like freezer paper. This is what I do. cut out freezer paper just as you want finished applique to be, then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around, place fabric right side down, center freezer paper on fabric shiny side up, fold over the 1/4 inch and press with a dry iron, all the way round. after cool remove freezer paper. and lay in bits of fusable thread, and heat with the tip of your iron, Now your applique bit is ready to put onto your back ground, either by machine or by hand, I also put a few bits of fusable thread to hold applique bit to the background.
    Hope that is understandable. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leaha
    I have tried several ways, I really like freezer paper. This is what I do. cut out freezer paper just as you want finished applique to be, then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around, place fabric right side down, center freezer paper on fabric shiny side up, fold over the 1/4 inch and press with a dry iron, all the way round. after cool remove freezer paper. and lay in bits of fusable thread, and heat with the tip of your iron, Now your applique bit is ready to put onto your back ground, either by machine or by hand, I also put a few bits of fusable thread to hold applique bit to the background.
    Hope that is understandable. :-)
    Interesting. I hadn't heard all of this before, just part of it.

Blog Entries
    I love to needle turn when I am watching tv or sitting in a doctor's office. However most of the time, I machine applique. I use Steam A Seam 2 but in order to cut down on the stiffness, after tracing the shape onto the Steam A Seam 2, I cut the center out of the center of the Steam A Seam 2 so there is only a minimal amount of the bonding agent left. I personally prefer a satin stitch and have never cared for raw edge unless it is for a wall hanging only.

I suggest you try all the methods out on the same piece (maybe applique a heart on a square) and give yourself a valid comparison.

Good luck and hope you find a method you enjoy.

I love to hand applique but I am at the point where I am ready to try machine applique just to finish a project sooner! Not sure I will like the look as much though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast