Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The "A" (as in applique) word

Blog Entries
    LOL.....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbin along
    After extensive research, I have discovered that applique is actually impossible. People who disagree are just faking it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hand applique is my first love. I use different methods, depending on the size and shape of the pieces (I do a lot of small projects). And then I also machine applique (blanket stitch) projects that involve larger pieces, or easier shapes.

I have several quick tutorials for hand applique on my website, if you are interested in taking a look. It really isn't hard at all!

http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/begin...pplique-basics

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    I see so many absolutely stunning quilts that many of you share with us and I assume, I know that's a terrible word, that they are all hand applique.

I have been quilting for over 25 years but have yet to do very much of it. I think I am a little intimidated by the whole idea of appliqueing anything but a very simple block. I'm wondering how many of you out there do the real thing and how many either machine applique or fuse. If you machine, do you use a buttonhole stitch or a satin stitch and if you fuse, what's the best fusible you use? What method works best for you? What tips can you give me? I need some help getting motivated and am hoping that your experience will light a fire under me. Thanks.
    I have a video on raw edge fused applique that might be helpful:

http://www.overallquilter.com/latest...plique-part-1/

Aimee

I only machine applique I use heat and bond lite and the blanket stitch on my machine This is my favorite kind of quilting

For me it depends on the pattern. At the moment I'm doing a few art quilts, as they are small I use heat n bond lite to fuse the pieces. If the pieces to be appliqued are straight forward then I'll machine sew them but if there are a lot of curves, as in flower petals, then I usually hand sew them.

For years, I too, was not into applique. When I tried, I would become so tense, it was not worth it. But one day, I decided that it was foolish to let two pieces of fabric intimidate me. So, I relaxed and went with the flow. Now I am addicted to needle-turn applique. Just jump in and it will become natural to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    I am not a fan of applique. BUT I have done it both ways--machine and hand. I hate hand work, but love the look of hand applique better than machine. Some can get the corners looking great with a machine, mine look like a disaster.... I usually do button hole stitch by hand and satin on machine (because of the disaster with button hole) I ALWAYS use some form of fusing. The last hand applique I did I use Steam a Seam 2 and it was very thick for me and difficult to needle. When I use a cheap fuse from a bolt from Jo-anns I don't have that problem. You just need to try different things to see what you like and go from there. Good luck on your adventure!
    Steam a seam has a light weight that you might like better. As for you machine appliqué, go in and ask for a demo on machine quilting, using the zigzag method. I saw one on Nancy Zeaman's show the other day where she decreased her stitch width b y counting to 5, and hitting the "decrease" button, till she got to the point, and then hit the "increase" button counting to 5, till it got to the width she wanted to use. I was impressed with this method, altho i think that the machine I just bought does it automatically.

Hi Joanie2, I have tried doing my applique by machine and can not get the corners or points even, it ends up looking like a total mess to me. So I do the turned applique, I enjoy sitting and working on my project while I listening to the tv. I could say that I am watching tv, but only bits of it!! The part that I dislike about applique is---Cutting all the pieces out! Once I get this all done I am so excited to get the piece together. So get going, I would love to see your applique block or quilt. You can do it! Its the STARTING that is the HARDEST. lol

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with a method I saw on TV years ago. I put light weight fusible interfacing,bumpy side to right side of fashion fabric, stitch around edges. Trim. Make a small slit in the facing to turn right side out. Finger press all edges firmly. Following manufacturers instructions, I iron it to the backing fabric, then I hand stitch it down. No pins, no 'points'. Works great for pick up and carry projects. If I have a problem with it being stiff, I just carefully cut out the back side of the base fabric and interfacing. Hope this helps you as much as it did me. :thumbup:

I use Heat n Bond, than appliqué using the satin stitch on my machine.
    Making a table runner now with a Celtic design. Has taken forever to appliqué it, but nearly finished now.

I do both hand and machine applique.
    I am taking a class and found that you can use any stitch to machine applique. I have a Pfaff 4.0 so I have lots of different stitiches.
    I don't know what you have but you can use a zig zag, button hole, satin stitch, blind hem etc.
    I use heat and bond but the last quilt I did was quite stiff.
    I am not sure if that is because it was old or what. I just bought new yesterday so I will let you know.
    Hope this helps

Power Poster
    I have only hand appliqued but I haven't done that many to experiment with other means.

I do both techniques, and enjoy them all. If you cut your fuseable to the exact size you want, then leave at least an
    /8 inch margin, you can turn your piece before you hand stitch it down. Then use either the button hole stitch or satin stitch to trim if you like. But it isn't necessary. I am hooked, just finished Lorraine's Garden, and am now starting a sunflower table topper that is my on the run project.

Dee
    My favorite is applique. Machine or by hand.

Blog Entries
    I use heat and bond light weight or the one that says sewable. I used the heavey duty once and what a mess I had trying to machine stitch the blanket stitch. Gummed my needle terrible. The lighter weight is very good and then use the blanket stitch on your machine if you have it.

This may sound silly, but the reason I'm hooked on hand applique is because I took a class that made just one block, and fell absolutely in love with the fabric. I had to buy enough to finish the entire quilt. I keep my applique project in my purse, along with the threads I'll be using. One tip I learned, and love to use, is the double stick applique tape. Once you submerge it in water, it is supposed to disappear. In the meantime, I can lay out an entire block, and slowly sew through the different layers as I am ready. The other pieces are stuck in place, so every time I pull out my block, I'm reminded how beautiful it will look when I'm done. Good luck!

My quilt friend told me to get Karen Kay Buckley's DVD on applique. I did and it is very good. I started a BOM with a lot of applique and I have come to the conclusion, hand applique may not be my thing. My learning curve is too steep. I have machine appliqued by using a light fusible and doing a small zigzag stitch. I go around once with a smaller stitch not to close together, then I go around the second time with a little bit wider stitch a little tighter stitch. Karen Kay does it with a blind hem stitch which I have not tried.

Bucket, where do you get the double stick applique tape? I've never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by lynmh
    I do the real deal applique--although if you like the fusible or machine applique there is NOTHING bad about it. I just happen to love to needle turn.

lyn
    Fusible and machine applique is as "real deal" as needle turn.
    Yes it is. I've done both and I don't think one is easier than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by daylily4u
    Hi Joanie2, I have tried doing my applique by machine and can not get the corners or points even, it ends up looking like a total mess to me. So I do the turned applique, I enjoy sitting and working on my project while I listening to the tv. I could say that I am watching tv, but only bits of it!! The part that I dislike about applique is---Cutting all the pieces out! Once I get this all done I am so excited to get the piece together. So get going, I would love to see your applique block or quilt. You can do it! Its the STARTING that is the HARDEST. lol
    daylily4, I listen to audio books while doing hands and machine sewing. I use my imagination for the pictures and keep my eyes on my stitches. It is so fun.

Blog Entries
    I have always hand appliqued. I have tried machine and don't like it. I sometimes use fusable (light) and do a buttonhole stitch around but I like to turn pieces under 1/4 inch and then do an invisable stitch. I really like that look. If you want quick, I guess hand done is not for you, but for me it's the actual handwork that I enjoy.

Janis, I got my applique tape at JoAnn's I think. It is a skinny tape that is only about 1/4 inch wide. I also know my local quilt shop has a glue that is supposed to do the same thing, but I haven't tried it yet. I think the tape is made by clover (but I don't have the packaging anymore). Hope that helps!

Thanks Bucket, I'll look for it the next time I'm in Joann's.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    Bucket, where do you get the double stick applique tape? I've never heard of it before.
    I was wondering the same thing. I have never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I have always hand appliqued. I have tried machine and don't like it. I sometimes use fusable (light) and do a buttonhole stitch around but I like to turn pieces under 1/4 inch and then do an invisable stitch. I really like that look. If you want quick, I guess hand done is not for you, but for me it's the actual handwork that I enjoy.
    Machine applique is not all that quick. You have to go slow and pay attention to what you are doing. I have done both and both take patience and practice to do them well. If you don't take your time with both of them you will not do a good job. And like anything else practice is important to do a good job. I love doing raw edge applique and am still learning and learning how to do corners, curves and points takes practice. I do a lot of different hand stitching and don't feel that if it is done by hand it will be a done better than if I used a machine. Like I've said before to do anything, by hand or machine, well, takes practice and patients.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast