Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22quilt%22-magazine-their-strongarm-renewal-tactics-t92554.html)

Frankie 01-21-2011 02:27 PM

As luck would have it I just got a notice in the mail about a subscription for Quilters News Letter. I looked all over the page but could not find a spot where they said automatically renew. Now I'm not so sure I want to subscribe just in case there is some print about auto renew in size 2 font that I don't see.

davidwent 01-21-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I called them just now and gave them an earful of what I thought of it. They apologized, said it was a form letter, blah, blah, blah. I told them to cancel me and to never contact me again.

Good for you Ed! Unfortunately it is not only quilting mags I had the same exact trouble with "The Artist Magazine" If you don't tell them after getting a free trial and just ignore the notice they will assume you want it.
David

gale 01-21-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I had the same thing happen with Country Living Magazine. I wrote "Cancel" on the invoice and sent it back - twice. The third time I reminded them that I had told them to cancel it two times before. I hope it worked this time.

They are trying to get people to pay with the fear of having it go against their credit rating!

Country Living is the WORST! First people don't get all of their issues and then they are auto renewed even if they didn't want to be. I'll never subscribe to that magazine again.

quiltsRfun 01-21-2011 02:34 PM

Thanks for the warning. I'll watch for the notices from my current magazines to make sure I don't get caught on this.

auntmag 01-21-2011 02:35 PM

I get renewal notices from some of the mags with the first issue that I receive. Very annoying.

Lori S 01-21-2011 03:15 PM

I had the same thing happen to me they sent me a Try Me offer , the offer clearly stated if you do not like it , do nothing . Well I got the same "Nasty gram" you got. All I kept thinking was , now I 'll never subscribe. I got about 5 of those 'Nasty Gram's" and after each one called them and got the same appology ... and "oh it was an error, we will make sure it never happens again". Well I guess they must think we have all lost our memories and if we get one of those letters we will rush off to send them a check.
It is terrible what tactics some of the companies are resorting to these days.

MadQuilter 01-21-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Did one of the notices ask you to mark No thanks if you didn't want to renew? Most subscriptions automatically renew if you don't send in a cancellation notice.

Really? My subscriptions (and I've had a lot) ALL had a time limit. As the time came closer, they would start marking the magazine with all sorts of "NOTICES" - from "your subscription is running out" to "This is your last issue! RENEW NOW!"

I have NEVER gotten a "pay up" notice like that. Question: I assume you have not been getting the magazines?

Murphy 01-21-2011 03:26 PM

I concur. If you pay for a year and decide not to renew then you are done with them. There is no "automatic renewal" situation here. I understand your concern.

Margie 01-21-2011 03:41 PM

I would still contact the BBB....this is unacceptable.

Eddie 01-21-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Question: I assume you have not been getting the magazines?

Actually, my subscription doesn't run out until April 2011. When I signed up back in January 2010, my first issue came in April 2010. So my subscription really is just now running out. Yet, they've been dunning me for months to renew, and today I got this notice saying that I was going on their "bad pay list". When I called them this afternoon, I spoke with a supervisor there and told here that I thought their notice was totally unacceptable and that I could not believe a company like them would send out something like that. She got both barrels from me.