Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "slider" for fmq.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22slider%22-fmq-t102420.html)

grandma sue 02-24-2011 06:31 PM

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got a Betty Crocker Oven Liner. It was $10 but I had a 20% off coupon (they will accept them even if they have expired). Works great. Also works as a teflon pressing sheet.

Marysewfun 02-24-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think you could get the same effect with cheap vinyl from Walmart. With the vinyl, you can cover as large an area as you can create to surround your needle.

I bought a huge piece of vinyl to try but haven't set it up yet but I remember reading it can be good because you can cover a larger or more desired area - and also I read somewhere about using double-stick tape right around the needle area to hold it in place.
Marysewfun

Ceil 02-24-2011 07:37 PM

I do need something. Think I'll start with the plastic wrap and progress up the $$ chain until something works. But then maybe I should just spring for the Queen Supreme Slider and hope that works?

Deecee 02-24-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I've never bothered to find out because they start at $120 over here.

Here's a link for the Supreme Slider from Punch with Judy at $A40.

I use it and think it is good.

Berta48 02-24-2011 07:58 PM

I have purchased two and they both have gotten caught in my machine and ripped I won't buy another one.But it did help glide the fabric much better and I LOVE the
machinger(spelling?) gloves.

madamekelly 02-24-2011 09:16 PM

Somewhere on this board recently, someone said you could buy the same thing, marketed for your oven floor, (to keep it clean). I got one and they were right! Much cheaper, and if you don't like it, you have not dropped $30 for it. Try the local stores for a teflon oven liner.

tjradj 02-24-2011 09:20 PM

I used the supreme slider for a couple of months. I really did try to love it. But we are not compatible companions.
It slipped a couple of times and I didn't notice until I had stitched a good few inches into it.
I really can't say it improved the maneuverability at all.
So I started using the Machingers gloves instead. Now, THEY work!

penski 02-24-2011 09:58 PM

i say no ! i bought one and i was not impressed with it ,i think the silicone oven mats you buy at menards for 2.00 work better and are so much cheaper, the last time i used my slider i noticed it was not letting me slide the quilt around , it was kinda hard to push the quilt thru , i stopped and looked at the quilt , only to notice that the slider must of worked its way off the tape i used to hold it down and i had sewn the slider to the back of my quilt !!

madamekelly 02-24-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Somewhere on this board recently, someone said you could buy the same thing, marketed for your oven floor, (to keep it clean). I got one and they were right! Much cheaper, and if you don't like it, you have not dropped $30 for it. Try the local stores for a teflon oven liner.

Gripper knit gloves are my secret weapon. (I get them at the dollar store for a buck!)

kathymarie 02-25-2011 07:08 AM

I use the Supreme Slider....got it on Leah Day's site...daystyledesigns....and I love it....didn't know anything could make that much of a difference but it really does.