Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4 inch foot!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4-inch-foot-t7565.html)

Donna Mae 05-29-2008 04:33 AM

I have had a 1 / 4 foot for about 15 years, don't know what I would of done without it!!
My machines Husky Star and my New Home, both are low shank machines and it works on both of them.
Don't forget when you order a walking foot, to specifiy low or high shank.

Keep it rocking,

Simple quilter

sewnsewer2 05-29-2008 05:19 AM

I have been thinking of getting one, but every time I'm in the store I forget to get one.

reneebobby 05-29-2008 05:35 AM

My machine 1/4 is programed which is great you can get 1/4 on the right or 1/4 on the left all you have to do is hit the right number, line the fabric up with the side of the foot and go to twon.

moonhoney2 05-29-2008 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mae
Don't forget when you order a walking foot, to specifiy low or high shank.

What is "low shank / high shank"?

Donna Mae 05-29-2008 01:06 PM

To Measure:
When presser foot is down, measure the distance from the bottom of foot to screw-hole that holds the foot onto the presser bar.

This is for machines with screw on feet, not snap on.

Google low shank and Clodilde's will come up with a picture on how to measure for low or high shank.

Thanks for asking.

Simple quilter

sunflower 06-02-2008 12:34 PM

I have a 1967 Singer Touch and Sew machine that still works well. The edge of the presser foot on it is 1/4 inch from the needle. I feel very fortunate that my machine was made like this otherwise I probably would not be quilting. It seems like a lot of hassles otherwise.

DeeJays10 06-02-2008 02:12 PM

Ok, here is a silly question............

Does the 1/4 inch foot give you a quarter inch seam or scant quarter inch seam? If it gives a 1/4 inch seam then you still have to do some adjusting don't you?

Donna

kinkajou 06-02-2008 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeeJays10
Ok, here is a silly question............

Does the 1/4 inch foot give you a quarter inch seam or scant quarter inch seam? If it gives a 1/4 inch seam then you still have to do some adjusting don't you?

Donna

To check the accuracy of your foot sew together 3 1.5" pieces, your finished block should measure 3.5".

If you're not ending with a 3.5" block make adjustments until you do!

: o )

moonhoney2 06-02-2008 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
DeeJays- The scant quarter inch seam is a mystery. LOL I think it is supposed to be a few threads short of a true quarter inch. my question is this: why have the scant quarter inch seam anyhow?

I'm wondering this as well. What is a "scant" 1/4in seam and what is it's purpose? Why is it desired?

retrogirl02 06-03-2008 07:44 AM

Moonhoney & Loretta,
I think the scant 1/4 inch seam is supposed to equal exactly 1/4 inch including the fold of the seam, which is why it is just a couple lines of thread difference. I know I've seen it in directions on older patterns and when learning from experienced quilters. My guess is that if an intricate pattern calls for it, you'd probably have to use the scant 1/4 or the whole thing will be off. Otherwise, 1/4 is fine.
I don't have the 1/4 foot yet...I'm old school with the masking tape LOL :lol: