Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-inch-squares-has-anyone-made-quilt-like-t295831.html)

rryder 03-29-2018 09:50 AM

I routinely sew smaller bits (less than an inch) together for crumb blocks and have never had a problem with too much bulk, but I heavily starch and press until the seams are very flat and if necessary I pound them with a hammer (tailors trick). Not sure if you’ve seen some of the “inchies” posted on the internet, but if you do a search for inchies you’ll see a lot of interesting work.

edited to add- I do my own quilting so am not as concerned with bulk as a long armer might be.

Rob

atsip 03-29-2018 10:40 AM

I did the grid with 1 1/2” and 2 1/2” squares and hated it. I hate to do so much squaring up. Thankfully there was plenty of “sky” parts I could. I’d rather sew individually next time.

Peckish 03-29-2018 10:47 AM

I used the grid and it worked great, but was a little stiff. It was a wall hanging so I didn't care, but might be worth considering if you're going to make a bed quilt or a throw.

Sew Freak 03-29-2018 10:52 AM

your quilt is awesome!!!

redstilettos 03-29-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8030923)
I routinely sew smaller bits (less than an inch) together for crumb blocks and have never had a problem with too much bulk, but I heavily starch and press until the seams are very flat and if necessary I pound them with a hammer (tailors trick).

Wait...like the hammer my husband has in his tool box? THAT kind of hammer??

MarionsQuilts 03-29-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lmanna (Post 8030803)
No, those squares are not too small if you have the will and desire. I sewed this quilt for my husband using the grid method. My squares finished at 1/2". I trimmed down my seam allowance to 1/8" to help with bulk. Here's the pic of mine.

It came out far better than I expected and there is no way I personally could have done it without the grid.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591879[/ATTACH]

This is what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much!

You have given me hope and inspiration!

I will not use a 1/4 inch seam, because like Tartan mentioned, it would just meet up with each other on each side. I won't be "quilting" it much when it's done. I'll just do some straight stitching.

I think I'll do blocks of 10x10 (so 100 1 inch squares) and then either join them with sashing or just join them.

I do have the fusible grid, so that makes my life much easier ... if I didn't have the grid, I wouldn't even think about it!

Thanks so much everyone!

rryder 03-29-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 8031007)
Wait...like the hammer my husband has in his tool box? THAT kind of hammer??

Yes, I use a hammer and a block of wood that I lay the offending seam on. LOL

Rob

oksewglad 03-29-2018 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 8031010)
This is what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much!

You have given me hope and inspiration!

I will not use a 1/4 inch seam, because like Tartan mentioned, it would just meet up with each other on each side. I won't be "quilting" it much when it's done. I'll just do some straight stitching.

I think I'll do blocks of 10x10 (so 100 1 inch squares) and then either join them with sashing or just join them.

I do have the fusible grid, so that makes my life much easier ... if I didn't have the grid, I wouldn't even think about it!

Thanks so much everyone!

I would suggest making a quarter inch seam and trimming it. I find I'm more accurate at 1/4 than 1/8th.

Kitsie 03-29-2018 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And I just finished making a piece! What fun! Wanted to buy the fusible from them, but it seems they no longer sell it? I looked everywhere. I know there are others available. The pellon I marked was old and thick which made it more difficult but it worked. (If you decide to draw you own, make sure to draw your squares a little bigger! Like perhaps 1/16th inch.

I will take a ruler to the store to measure when I buy. Would be great for jelly roll strips to make 2" squares!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591891[/ATTACH]

PS - even with the heavier fusible, I followed the directions on the video from Ten Sisters and had absolutely no problem with seam bulk. One trick if fusible is heavy - I have an old broken, small sized knitting needle that I score freezer paper with for paper piecing and it work super well for these folds, too!

Thanks MarionQuilts! Always love to try something new!

Blue Bell 03-29-2018 03:42 PM

OK, Your mini quilts are marvelous.