Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2013-ufo-therapy-thread-sister-thread-2013-ufo-challenge-month-t210452.html)

QuilterMomma 09-11-2013 01:01 PM

I like that nanna, it looks so cozy. Glad you finished it and love that outer border. What a great way to use those fabric pieces up. And that poor boy just wants to lay on your wonderful work.

nanna-up-north 09-11-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks Fraew and QM. I'm still trying to decide what fabric to use for the back. I'd been collecting oriental fabric for this quilt for quite a while but only had small pieces. ... just enough for the piano key border. I may have to go fabric shopping...... oh no!

asimplelife 09-22-2013 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to dig deep to find this thread!

I've been using this UFO as my leader/ender project this month. I'm interested in feedback as to the different layouts in my picture... while I like them both I have a definite favorite but I'm curious what other quilters think. Which one is your favorite and why? Thanks!

Emma S 09-22-2013 05:19 PM

Asimpleife: First, love the colors. My favorite is B, its kind of hard to believe it is the same set of blocks. B has a stonger visual impact with more and larger areas of contrast.

nanna-up-north 09-22-2013 06:27 PM

Well, I like the one on the left the best..... just makes my eye settle.... at peace. But both are lovely.

carriem 09-22-2013 07:25 PM

asimplelife--I like both arrangements of blocks. Initially I was thinking "B" because of the contrast, but I think "A" would be my finial choice since it blends together so well...I guess you'll just have to decide if you want defined lines or not. :)

I last week I got 3 table runners quilted and binding on. So working on sewing binding down now.

DDuMouchel 09-23-2013 04:35 AM

I like "A" the best.

Emma S 09-23-2013 04:40 AM

I always like when quilters are asked for their opinons. There is always a full range of answers. For me B spoke so strongly to me the answer was "obvious". LOL

asimplelife 09-23-2013 05:55 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I am drawn to A too which is odd because I normally go for a diagonal secondary pattern every time.

Layout B really plays on value - which I really needed to pay more attention to in my construction as several of these blocks are too muddled. When I look at B too long all I see are the blocks I'd need to take out! But I love the "argyle" effect.

So for this set of blocks it will be A - but I want to try B in the future. Good thing I've got bins of 5" charms ready to play with!

oksewglad 09-23-2013 07:04 AM

Sometimes I think how we like an arrangement is related to how our brains think. Personally I think very symmetrically--everything evenly balanced and am drawn to those kind of settings. I tend to "see" that balance in my quilting. I work have to work hard to get out of that box. I like "B" because of it's symmetrical balance. Good thing you've got some charms to play with!