Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2014 Fabric Moratorium Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2014-fabric-moratorium-moratorium-t235509.html)

SouthPStitches 11-25-2013 07:34 PM

2014 Fabric Moratorium Moratorium

For the record, I purposely didn't post this in the "Challenge" section for good reason. There will be no challenge for me in 2014 because I'm not going to commit to a fabric-free anything. Why set myself up to crash and burn. I'm better off buying a little fabric once a month or so, than doing a face plant off the wagon big time, after depriving myself for six months or so. That's when I spend the big bucks. So, if you want to find me in 2014, I'll be trying to climb out of my stash, just in time for the post man to deliver another goody box from Connecting Threads, 1,000 Bolts, etc.

erstan947 11-25-2013 07:42 PM

You are my kind of quilter.....:)

quiltsRfun 11-25-2013 07:47 PM

Finally, a moratorium I can live with. Where do I sign up?

Quilty-Louise 11-25-2013 07:57 PM

I second this!!!!

Igt does me no good to say that I won't buy anymore
fabric. However I can do my best to limit the amount
that I do buy.

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6424638)
Finally, a moratorium I can live with. Where do I sign up?

Reb 11-26-2013 01:48 AM

Just been hunting through the bins of stash for coordinating tone on tone or solids for some projects. Well, I just don't have them! Decided to hunt down those fabrics that say "what did you ever buy me for???". They will be bagged up for the local Free Library's garage sale. Voila! Space for those coordinates - buying with a purpose? . . . Guilt free!

ckcowl 11-26-2013 02:58 AM

I agree---even though in 2013 I really did quite well with the moratorium...I only purchased what I absolutely had to have either to complete a commissioned project or backings- quite a few backings this year I managed to purchase good quality wide (pfd- prepared for dyeing) fabric & dyed my own- so saved a lot. I still have an abundant stash to work out of but do not plan to stress over it this coming year- I will continue to try to put my stash to good use- check there first= but will not feel guilty if I visit the quilt shop & find something new I really want. :) life tends to be stressful enough without adding pressure ...

Nilla 11-26-2013 03:04 AM

At some point during the past year I decided to put myself on a fabric/anything quilting related budget rather than a full on moratorium. All in all, that worked well. Some months I don't buy anything and others (like when I visit Lancaster for a few days) I buy a lot, but I think it all evens out.

I know I'll never use all the fabric I have, but then along comes a new project and it needs just a little something different so I buy more. Ugh. I think for 2014 I'm going to put something on my sewing room wall where I record all the money I spend. It will be interesting to actually track it and see how much I spend.

patricej 11-26-2013 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla (Post 6424835)
I think for 2014 I'm going to put something on my sewing room wall where I record all the money I spend. It will be interesting to actually track it and see how much I spend.

hmmmm ... that's a really good idea. :thumbup:

before i start, though, i'm going to raid my furniture and pockets ... buy a pile of stuff before 31 Dec ... and start fresh.

hey!
you didn't say we couldn't/shouldn't cheat a little. LOL LOL LOL

justducky65 11-26-2013 05:17 AM

I might be able to think about this come January, but right now all I keep getting in my emails are ads from my surrounding local quilt shops announcing their Black Friday sales!! Yikes!! Of course, I am sure there are lots of sales online this coming weekend too. I know I will buy, I have to buy, but hopefully I can restrain myself to an acceptable limit.

cowgirlquilter 11-26-2013 05:40 AM

Yeeeeeehaaaaaww! Excuse me while I try and get up out of my stash room......it gets a bit difficult at times.......lol!!!!