Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   4 lights or 4 darks or both? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/4-lights-4-darks-both-t311745.html)

Julienm1 07-13-2020 08:05 AM

4 lights or 4 darks or both?

I finally got my stash somewhat under control even tho DH thinks I have a long way to go...what does he know, right?

I found two baggies of 2" and "2.5" squares. Just cant visualize how these guys will play together in a scrappy quilt.

Those of you who have more experience with scrappy projects, what is your talented opinion? Thinking about scrappy 4 patch. Use two colors per patch, random, donate out when I can?

toverly 07-13-2020 08:08 AM

One of my favorite quilts was a scrappy squares quilt. Totally random. I used 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 squares. I made 12 1/2 inch blocks, totally out of all the same size squares. I then sashed in a navy blue. I tend toward brights so it worked. Wish I had a photo, who knows where the photo went.

juliasb 07-13-2020 08:23 AM

I do a whole lot of scrappy quilts. Rarely do I do something that is organized. I let the fabrics drop where they are some times there is a darker one next to a very dark or to light or medium dark along side it just depends on what is coming out of my basket next . The only thing I will do is switch out if the same fabrics come out along side each other. It is amazing how they come out just right. I just finished a scrappy top this morning. I had to add a new color in the last row that had not bee used before. Because of the scrappy nature of the quilt you would never know that this fabric was nowhere else in the quilt
Use your squares anyway you want. these squares are great for borders too. You have nothing to lose.

Tartan 07-13-2020 08:42 AM

Jenny just posted a new tutorial from MSQC. That uses little squares around a bigger centre square. She used a jelly roll but I could see it being a great scrappy. The title was for Tile Style pattern.

Julienm1 07-13-2020 08:47 AM

Looking it up right now. TYSM!!!

Railroadersbrat 07-13-2020 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8401494)
Jenny just posted a new tutorial from MSQC. That uses little squares around a bigger centre square. She used a jelly roll but I could see it being a great scrappy. The title was for Tile Style pattern.

I love Jenny's tutorials, I usually have her or Shar Jorgenson playing in the background when I quilt. Jenny makes everything look like a breeze!

Barb in Louisiana 07-13-2020 09:30 AM

One of the prettiest quilts I ever saw was 4 patches with a constant white as the background. Every color of the rainbow was in that quilt.

IceLeopard 07-13-2020 09:49 AM

Go on to Pinterst and type in "scrappy quilts." You'll get a gazillion hits.

There is one I really like. For some reason I can't link to the picture, but it's just scrappy 4-patches set on point with white sashing and scrappy cornerstones.

sewingpup 07-13-2020 10:18 AM

just play and have fun. For four patches...I sometimes just take whatever, sometimes I use two darks and two lights...sometimes if I have a lot of one color but scrappy in nature, I will put two neutrals and say two reds together....hint....if you are planning on have sashing or plain blocks in-between...I helps to know what color you are using ….so say if I were going to put green sashing between the blocks...I probably would avoid putting my green squares in unless of course they were a different value or shade or actually a print....actually, you can not go wrong with scrappy four patches...just put them together and play....

Julienm1 07-13-2020 12:37 PM

OMG...what a cheerful quilt. TY for sharing