Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   !5 minutes a day challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/5-minutes-day-challenge-t79833.html)

annthreecats 02-16-2012 02:47 AM

I work full time and I don't have any trouble meeting my 15 minute a day goal on the weekend (I usually sew for hours on the weekend) but during the work week it can be a problem. Sometimes I wimp out with the excuse that I'm tired and I won't be able to concentrate as well, but when I started my first lap quilt 3 weeks ago I told myself that I had to get at least an hour of sewing in every night during the week to get this done. So I would get into my sewing room about 7:00 p.m. and I usually ended up staying until 9:00 p.m. every night and I felt good about it and the sewing that was done was good, not a lot of mistakes and ripping. Last night I didn't start sewing until 8:00 p.m. and I stayed until 10:20 p.m. I was really proud of myself for sticking it out last night and not wimping out with the "I'm so tired excuse." I'm almost finished with my quilt. Tonight I sew the binding onto the front of the quilt and tomorrow I put the label on and I'm calling it done. Then I can move on to other crafty projects I have swimming around in my head.

annesthreads 02-16-2012 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 4979426)
I work full time and I don't have any trouble meeting my 15 minute a day goal on the weekend (I usually sew for hours on the weekend) but during the work week it can be a problem.

That's quite an achievement. I worked fulltime till a year ago, and though I really did try to find time to sew, I struggled - but felt much better when I managed it. It felt as if at least some of my life was still my own! (I didn't enjoy my job).

HollyDav 02-16-2012 04:43 AM

I've been doing this and it usually turns into at least 1/2 an hour. I am actually finishing things. :)

SewExtremeSeams 02-17-2012 10:40 AM

It is going great so far! I don't know why the housework should be done, do you?:D:D

huntannette 02-17-2012 10:47 AM

I do!!! actually i average about an hour a day...getting things done!! youpee!!

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 1971963)
This idea is not originally mine.

Challenge yourself to do something quilting related for at least 15 minutes a day.

Lots of days most of us get caught up with life and don't get to sew or quilt. Why bother if you can only do 15 minutes.

If you set your goal to 15 minutes, it is easier to accomplish. Often I can be unmotivated or tired and don't feel like it. But I say well I can manage the 15 minutes. It is surprising how much can get done in a week at that rate even if it's only cutting or chain piecing or organizing your stash.

Lots of times the 15 minutes morphs into an hour or more.

It has been surprising to me how pyschologically beneficial this has been for me since I accepted this challenge.

Do I sew or quilt every single day for 15 minutes? No of course not, but I get lots more done over time since I started this than I did before.

Anybody with me?

Realtorlin 04-19-2012 05:50 AM

Love this idea...will start tonight!

tezell0801 04-19-2012 06:00 AM

I would love to try this too, not so sure I can do it with all I have going on, but I have a goal to aim for.