Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   505 spray instead of fusible webbing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/505-spray-instead-fusible-webbing-t195544.html)

GagaSmith 07-23-2012 07:51 PM

505 spray instead of fusible webbing?

I have been doing quite a bit of applique recently and it's takes so long to draw everything on fusible paper and then iron it to the fabric, then cut it out etc. Why can't I just cut out the shapes I want and spray them and stick them to the main fabric. I will attach with a machine blanket stitch. I'm sure someone here has tried it. Does it work?

Prism99 07-23-2012 08:03 PM

I haven't tried it, but it should work. You would probably want to spray inside a cardboard box to prevent sticky overspray from getting everywhere, and you need good ventilation while spraying (outside is good!).

What I think would be easier, though, is to iron fusible onto your entire piece of fabric and then cut out your designs from the fabric.

GagaSmith 07-23-2012 08:13 PM

I know what you are saying but I am doing a lot of flowers with different colored fabrics--not a lot of the same fabric.

pippi65 07-23-2012 08:31 PM

This is a hard one. I've never done anything with 505 except batting. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I under stand what you mean about using lots of different fabrics. I adhere my fusible to the different fabrics and save what's left for another project on something else.

Prism99 07-23-2012 10:29 PM

I guess I would rough cut, say, 5-inch pieces of fabric, lay them all out on a piece of fusible, and fuse them all in one go. If you are using applique sheets or parchment paper, it doesn't matter if there are small gaps between the fabric pieces.

If you use Misty Fuse, you don't even have any paper to remove. Just fuse and cut out the flowers.

Sunnye 07-24-2012 04:31 AM

I've tried that and found that the fusible also works as a stabilizer when I applique.

msbRON 07-24-2012 06:13 AM

Use dots of Elmer's school glue, or the glue stick to attach shapes to main fabric. It dries clear, and washes out completely. Alot of people here on the board have used this method.

TanyaL 07-24-2012 06:24 AM

I have used your method. I found it didn't give enough stability for me to satin stitch the applique down, but if you are going to use blanket stitch then I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. I got a very large box to lay the pieces in, then sprayed them. Sometimes I went outside, sometimes I didn't. The box is about a 2 ft cube - so no overspray. I use spray adhesive where ever I can. I like the uniformity of the coverage versa the spotty coverage of a liquid glue or a glue stick. Good luck.

Annaquilts 07-24-2012 06:28 AM

I have used this technique with raw edge applique. A good fussible will give aditional strenght to adhering the applique to the quilt permanently while with a spray the applique adheres only by it being sewn down, especially over time or after washing. One is a temporary bond and one is a permanent bond.

susie-susie-susie 07-24-2012 06:30 AM

The only "problem" I can see is that the 505 spray washes out. The iron on stabilizer kind of holds the piece in place. I find that is necessary since I use the blanket stitch to finish the piece and it doesn't seem too stable without the iron -on JMHO
Sue