Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   6600 Tension Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/6600-tension-problems-t98774.html)

Lyndy 02-11-2011 12:02 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a Janome 6600, today I tried FMQ and its a disaster. The OM says tension between 2 - 6 well that isn't working. It leaves huge loops on the bottom at 2, 3, 4, at 5 is small loops and at 6 it starts to pucker the material. If I go back to standard stitching it is fine but with dogs down, darning foot on, etc it just isn't working. I have rethreaded the machine, rewound the bobbin, blown out the line. Nothing seems to work.

I also contacted the shop where I purchased it and the owner old me she 'never' touches the tension and had no idea what was wrong, said she'd contact Janome and try to get back to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long.

Shelbie 02-11-2011 12:29 PM

Did you change your needle? A small burr or nick will really affect your tension. I'd also check my bobbin case for any nicks or burrs. The Janome has a wick hole under the bobbin case which sometimes dries out causing the bobbin case to rattle and jump and sometimes the needle makes contact with it causing a nick. Nowhere in the manual does it tell you to oil it there. Inspect the case, oil the wick hole and change your needle. Also make sure that your feed dogs are dropping all the way down to disengage and allow you to FM quilt. (Don't even ask how I know all of this) Needless to say I was a very unhappy FM quilter for a long time and I had a dealer who wouldn't believe me that it was the machine and not operator error!

Lyndy 02-11-2011 12:33 PM

Thank you, I will oil the wick and check the bobbin. The machine is only one week old.

Lyndy

sewcrafty 02-11-2011 12:37 PM

Check to see what you have the speed on. When I FMQ I have the speed set at med-low. Had to find what was comfortable for me. Didn't like it real fast, so prevent eyelashes, I slowed everything down. The tension is around 5. Are you sure you've put the machine in Mode 2 pattern 11?

Lyndy 02-11-2011 12:50 PM

Hi Denise,

I have the speed set at medium (I'm pretty new at FMQ), Mode 2 pattern 11. If I do a straight line the stitches are pretty good but as soon as I start doing curves the loops start.

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Check to see what you have the speed on. When I FMQ I have the speed set at med-low. Had to find what was comfortable for me. Didn't like it real fast, so prevent eyelashes, I slowed everything down. The tension is around 5. Are you sure you've put the machine in Mode 2 pattern 11?

chuckbere15 02-11-2011 01:04 PM

My mom has a Janome 6500 and I told her to oil the bobbin but she doesn't listen to me. I will forward her this message, and changing the needle and a thorough cleaning keeps the machine running smooth. I learned the hard way. I hope that it works out for you.

Lyndy 02-11-2011 01:09 PM

Thank you, its really frustrating on a brand new machine! My older Janome works fine when I FMQ.

Raggiemom 02-11-2011 01:19 PM

My FMQ still doesn't look the greatest on my 6600 but it is better than it used to be. I think it just takes ALOT of practice.

Lyndy 02-11-2011 01:29 PM

Hi Heather,

At this point I just want to get rid of the 'loops' then I can practice, practice, practice!

Mary M 02-11-2011 01:50 PM

I really feel for you for I had the same problem when I first got my 6600P. What they have done is not set the bobbin tension for FMQ and then they came out with another bobbin they wanted the customers to buy so they could FMQ. I did get the other bobbin and still had trouble. The people at the store I bought it from was absolutely no help. I have found that the pressure foot adjustment [on top of left handside of machine] needs to be up as far as you can make it go. I have heard some people with this machine say they adjust the bobbin tension. I am very reluctant to do this for it can be dificult forsome of us to get that tension then set back for regular sewing. Thi machine was advertised as a great quilting machine but I think for it to be great for quilting the tension should be easy to deal with. Since I have bought my Juki TL98 I use it for my FMQ and works very well. Sure hope you get it figured out for I know how frustrating it is to get those big loops and eyelashes.