Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about colors for baby quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-colors-baby-quilts-t197938.html)

Annaquilts 08-18-2012 09:24 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking.
I would put the blue in but not the pink.

Originally Posted by IrishNY (Post 5449272)
This will be an odd answer but is it the parent's first child? I think men have more bias against pink for a first child if it's male. For subsequent sons, they relax. Don't know why but have just noticed this trend.

TanyaL 08-18-2012 09:26 AM

I think it isn't about the sex of the baby, it's about what the father will use - or let be used.

PlanoDebbie 08-18-2012 02:52 PM

I love to use a multitude of colors when I make a baby quilt. Pinks, Blues, Yellows, Purple, etc. The more colors, the better it is! I just love any kind of bright colored fabric.

raedar63 08-18-2012 03:03 PM

I make string baby quilts but usually wont use pinks or girly fabric cause all the men I know are country boys and wouldn't dare let their sons use anything that may be considered girly lol. I have some bright colors of strips I can send if you need them :)

YukonViv 08-18-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow...."let be used"...I think the men in the Yukon must be more relaxed then those elsewhere LOL. I don't know any that have really cared about it one way or another.

I've made several baby quilts for gender neutral babies (those we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet) using pinks and blues and the parents have loved and used them.

Here is one to give you an idea of the ones I make...they are all scrappy.

Peckish 08-18-2012 08:03 PM

I think if you use plenty of other colors in the quilt, the pink won't be a problem. Both my boys had baby quilts that were multi-colored pastels. However, once they were toddlers, they quickly abandoned those "baby" quilts for more boyish ones!

Grandma Peg 08-18-2012 08:25 PM

Pink and blue should be in a baby quilt, just my opinion.

spokanequilter 08-18-2012 08:35 PM

Absolutely use the pink!! Even if it's not the main focal point of the quilt, it will add to the rainbow effect. And if the baby is a boy and his father doesn't like it, well that's just too bad!! :p ;)

romanojg 08-19-2012 07:25 AM

I agree with not adding the pinks only because some people don't want pink even if it is a girl. It took my daughter a long time before she'd put pink on her DD. My DGD favorite color is blue and my DGS favorite is yellow so I try to add those colors to thier blankets now that I know. Ask the parents if they want bright colors or pastels and go from there.

joym 08-19-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv (Post 5450594)
Wow...."let be used"...I think the men in the Yukon must be more relaxed then those elsewhere LOL. I don't know any that have really cared about it one way or another.

I've made several baby quilts for gender neutral babies (those we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet) using pinks and blues and the parents have loved and used them.

Here is one to give you an idea of the ones I make...they are all scrappy.

thanks for posting...very pretty