Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ? about colors for baby quilts

Blog Entries

? about colors for baby quilts

I want to make a string baby quilt from scraps. We do not know the sex of the baby. Could I include pinks and blues ? There is not much left in my scrap bag if I don't include pinks and blues.

Personally I wouldn't put the pinks in unless you check with the parents first. Blues are great with yellows etc.

since it is a string quilt I would use them. If pink/blue will not be the focus of your blocks or the predominate colors I don't think it would be a problem.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Why not use what you have? I like making very sophisticated quilts for babies, so they can grow into them, instead of grow out of them, so I will use whatever fabrics/colors suit the design. Both pink and blue in a string quilt, along with other colors, will be a very 'grownup' baby quilt, and by the nature of the design, you can make sure neither color will dominate the design and it will be around for a very long time. Don't forget to post a picture of it when it's done, I'm pondering my next baby quilt for my new grandniece, I think you've inspired me to try a string quilt for her to love and use for a long time, thank you!
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 08-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Banned
    Hey, real men wear pink shirts now, so I'd include the pinks and blues!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your replys....still a little unsure but maybe I will try it and see how I like it.....thanks again and this board is Great!!

Blog Entries
    In this day and age its not about pink or blue-use what you have It will be great Best stitches!!

Banned
    I agree, use what you have!

Pink *used* to be the color for boys and I think it's starting to swing back around as a more "unisex" color. I'd say go for it, just don't let pink OR blue dominate and I bet it'll be lovely.

This will be an odd answer but is it the parent's first child? I think men have more bias against pink for a first child if it's male. For subsequent sons, they relax. Don't know why but have just noticed this trend.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

That is exactly what I was thinking.
    I would put the blue in but not the pink.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    This will be an odd answer but is it the parent's first child? I think men have more bias against pink for a first child if it's male. For subsequent sons, they relax. Don't know why but have just noticed this trend.
    Anna Quilts

I think it isn't about the sex of the baby, it's about what the father will use - or let be used.

I love to use a multitude of colors when I make a baby quilt. Pinks, Blues, Yellows, Purple, etc. The more colors, the better it is! I just love any kind of bright colored fabric.

I make string baby quilts but usually wont use pinks or girly fabric cause all the men I know are country boys and wouldn't dare let their sons use anything that may be considered girly lol. I have some bright colors of strips I can send if you need them

Blog Entries
    Wow...."let be used"...I think the men in the Yukon must be more relaxed then those elsewhere LOL. I don't know any that have really cared about it one way or another.

I've made several baby quilts for gender neutral babies (those we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet) using pinks and blues and the parents have loved and used them.

Here is one to give you an idea of the ones I make...they are all scrappy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    I think if you use plenty of other colors in the quilt, the pink won't be a problem. Both my boys had baby quilts that were multi-colored pastels. However, once they were toddlers, they quickly abandoned those "baby" quilts for more boyish ones!

Power Poster
    Pink and blue should be in a baby quilt, just my opinion.

Absolutely use the pink!! Even if it's not the main focal point of the quilt, it will add to the rainbow effect. And if the baby is a boy and his father doesn't like it, well that's just too bad!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    I agree with not adding the pinks only because some people don't want pink even if it is a girl. It took my daughter a long time before she'd put pink on her DD. My DGD favorite color is blue and my DGS favorite is yellow so I try to add those colors to thier blankets now that I know. Ask the parents if they want bright colors or pastels and go from there.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    Wow...."let be used"...I think the men in the Yukon must be more relaxed then those elsewhere LOL. I don't know any that have really cared about it one way or another.

I've made several baby quilts for gender neutral babies (those we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet) using pinks and blues and the parents have loved and used them.

Here is one to give you an idea of the ones I make...they are all scrappy.
    thanks for posting...very pretty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I make string baby quilts but usually wont use pinks or girly fabric cause all the men I know are country boys and wouldn't dare let their sons use anything that may be considered girly lol. I have some bright colors of strips I can send if you need them
    Oh my, that is so nice of you but I am trying to use up some scraps....they do multiply you know