Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about Featheweights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-featheweights-t115915.html)

Greeter Eva 04-13-2011 06:17 PM

Hi Chubby Bunny: I love your pink FW. Are the ones , other than black , very rare? I have 2 black ones & really love them, but I think yours is so cute.

sueisallaboutquilts 04-13-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2000HD
I lucked out and got mine on freecycle. They guy advertized it as a old sewing machine in a black box. I almost fell off my chair and started screaching. I could only think of one machine I knew of in a black box. I still can get over he just wanted to get rid of it.

WOW!!! Girlie, you get the award today for the luckiest person on the board!! :D:D

The year it was made doesn't matter. They are fabulous machines!! :thumbup:

2000HD 04-13-2011 06:25 PM

I still can't believe it. I cleaned it up and sewed with it. I think it sat round for years. The bottom of the case wasn't in the best shape but the machine and all the "do dads" where there and it lit right up when I pluged it in. Best part I had never seen a FW in person. Only online. (and in my dreams)

okiepastor 04-13-2011 06:29 PM

LUCKY!!!!

gale 04-13-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
Hi Chubby Bunny: I love your pink FW. Are the ones , other than black , very rare? I have 2 black ones & really love them, but I think yours is so cute.

The pink is repainted. The only original colors are black and white/green (it looks white but sorta green I guess) and I think tan.

I lucked out finding mine. I went into a shop and she had just put one out a few days before. She was asking $175. I offered 125 and she sold it to me for $135. It worked perfectly there-I haven't tried it at home yet.

deplaylady 04-13-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gale

The pink is repainted. The only original colors are black and white/green (it looks white but sorta green I guess) and I think tan.

I lucked out finding mine. I went into a shop and she had just put one out a few days before. She was asking $175. I offered 125 and she sold it to me for $135. It worked perfectly there-I haven't tried it at home yet.

The pink (repainted) FW is cute! I'd love to just try a FW someday and see how they sew! I've never seen them around here - I'll have to start checking around - I love the way they look. It would be nice to luck out finding one - not sure about eBay.

I love your Hello Kitty sewing machine!

lclang 04-13-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by gale

I have a white one made in Kilbowie Scotland.

ChubbyBunny 04-13-2011 09:24 PM

Thanks! They aren't rare, they are non-existent. :-D Singer only made black, white and (I think) tan featherweights. The colored FWs are machines that have been refurbished and custom painted. My hubby bought mine for me on eBay last year. Her name is Bubbles.

Katia 04-13-2011 10:13 PM

I don't think there is a "best" year when it comes to Featherweights. Condition is probably the most important thing, but even then most any of them can be restored.

I have a black one and a green repaint, both are from 1936 or 37, I forget at the moment. I just love them both. I have been sewing on the black one a lot lately. It purrs like a kitten, so sweet.

OmaForFour 04-14-2011 03:35 AM

I bought mine on EBay about 8 months ago for $182. At the time most of the FWs were going for well over $300. My FW is in perfect condition, works beautifully and came with a host of attachments. I LOVE IT. I feel it is worth what I spent for it.