Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about Featheweights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-featheweights-t115915.html)

Sewflower 04-13-2011 04:02 PM

I really think the FW that I have seen all you guys have on this board are really neat. I want to start looking for one but dont the best year and model to look for price etc. Can any of you all help I love to run my husband all over on a quest it keeps him busy.

ChubbyBunny 04-13-2011 05:02 PM

I believe most of our featherweights are from the 1940s and 50s. You can find them at estate sales, thrift stores, Craigslist and on eBay. Prices vary greatly. Some people find them for $20 and others pay hundreds. Good luck with your search! It's good to keep the hubby busy. :wink:

Boopers 04-13-2011 05:06 PM

If you find one you can afford, get it. It doesn't matter the date. The early ones are all the same. Worth thier weight in gold.

Painiacs 04-13-2011 05:09 PM

If u can find one on craigslist, freecycle that's great! eBay wants 100's of dollars. Try it out if u can. I found one locally but it was so beat up I was scared to buy it. I toowant one! Hope u fine one!!

NJ Quilter 04-13-2011 05:11 PM

A friend who cleans out houses found mine - after I let him know what I was looking for. He only wanted $25 but I gave him $40 and recently a baby quilt for his new little one on the way. It's in pristine condition and works like a charm. Made in the 50's. I check Craigslist daily for any variety of machines in any number of surrounding areas. I can't afford the $$ some folks pay for their FW's so this was a fabulous find for me. Can't tell you how much I enjoy it. BTW - made the baby quilt with the FW!

Nanamoms 04-13-2011 05:13 PM

Add me to that list. It remains elusive.....

Sewflower 04-13-2011 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info. We have a weekly bargain magazine that comes out and it had some in it, but I didnt know what year or decade would be the best.

Shelbie 04-13-2011 05:24 PM

There are small differences in featherweights according to the year but a different style face plate or the light switch in another location will not affect the stitching quality. Most of the featherweights that I see lately were purchased new in the late 1940's and early 1950's which makes sense as many of these owners are now in their eighties and their machines are being sold in estate sales or before a downsizing move. I have noticed that featherweights are selling more reasonably these days. There were two listed on kijiji in Ontario today, one at $125 and one at $150. There was also one at $450 from a few days ago that hadn't sold.

2000HD 04-13-2011 05:50 PM

I lucked out and got mine on freecycle. They guy advertized it as a old sewing machine in a black box. I almost fell off my chair and started screaching. I could only think of one machine I knew of in a black box. I still can get over he just wanted to get rid of it.

ChubbyBunny 04-13-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2000HD
I lucked out and got mine on freecycle. They guy advertized it as a old sewing machine in a black box. I almost fell off my chair and started screaching. I could only think of one machine I knew of in a black box. I still can get over he just wanted to get rid of it.

SCORE!!! :thumbup: