Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about LQSs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-lqss-t25247.html)

nursie76 09-09-2009 01:58 PM

I think a small mat and a cutter. The mat could be slid under the seat.

Darlene 09-09-2009 02:51 PM

If they are busy they may let you use their scissors or rotary. I would think this is true in smaller towns. Have fun on your trip and good luck with the mining.

MadQuilter 09-09-2009 03:38 PM

Do you have one of those Quilter's Project Carriers? They are made of Nylon and you can stash anything in its internal pockets including mat, ruler, cutter, pattern, supplies - - - fabric. It zips up and becomes quilt central. Hubby shouldn't balk at ONE SIMPLE LITTLE BAG (make sure you make googoo-eyes when you mention it :? )

Another idea is to get the quilter's companion book. It lists all the LQS by state and city. They may have it on-line as well (less bulk, assuming you are e-connected.)

ai731 09-09-2009 03:59 PM

My LQS has a weekly "quilt-along" on Wednesday afternoons. I would espect that other LQSs, especially ones in rural areas, have something similar - so you could go along, introduce yourself and explain your situation, and ask to use the shop's mat. Bring your rotary cutter and maybe a small mat.

Jan

siss 09-09-2009 04:47 PM

you can pick up a small rotary cutter and cutting mat at our local dollar store. won't take up much space. have a great trip.

siss 09-09-2009 04:50 PM

sorry, meant to add. most places won't let you use their scissors or rotary cutters as they could be used as a weapon against them and insurance wouldn't cover them if something was too happen. not a pleasant thought, but this is the world we are living in.

janedennis 09-09-2009 05:17 PM

I am going to go and ask what state are you going gold hunting, been to NC, GA, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico per the GPAA book. I currently live in my 5th wheel and have taken all my quilting supplies with me. If your trailer has a booth in the kitchen the seat makes a really good place to put your things, also I got a real small cutting mat and rotorary cutter at joanns that came in a small kit that fit in a very small box. The mat is only 6inches by 6 inches and has a small handle and a very small rotary cutter to match. It has worked for me. I take my sewing machine too and put it in a hard case and sit it under my chair and you dont even know it is there. Good luck finding gold and happy quilting.

littlehud 09-09-2009 05:25 PM

A small cutting mat and and a rotary cutter won't take up any space at all. Just slip it under the front seat and it takes up no space at all.

Shemjo 09-09-2009 05:27 PM

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. I think most LQS would be most helpful. I know that the ones around here would be willing to help out, or at least let you use their space with your rotary cutter. :lol:

Bucket 09-10-2009 07:07 AM

The LQS both in CA and UT that I frequent have a work room with lots of mats, rulers, and cutters. I know that the CA one would let you pay a $5.00 fee to use the room for as long as you needed. I am pretty sure you will find flexible people. Have a fabulous trip!