Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ??? about rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-rulers-t227808.html)

dunster 08-12-2013 12:43 PM

My square rulers are perfectly square too. I didn't realize this kind of specialty non-square ruler existed. I can see all kinds of ways that it would mess me up.

Nammie to 7 08-12-2013 01:26 PM

It would be interesting to learn how to use that ruler - I need all the help I can get when squaring up blocks.

bearisgray 08-12-2013 01:29 PM

Can you give the name of the ruler or a picture of it?

nativetexan 08-12-2013 01:53 PM

well you have to watch your ruler if you are using one larger than what you are wanting to trim. As in an 8 1/2 inch ruler but trimming a 3 1/2 inch block. and sometimes rulers with that 1/2 inch on the side can be irritating.

QuiltnNan 08-13-2013 04:07 AM

my square up ruler has the markings listed differently on different sides. two sides are listed by the even inches and the other two sides are listed by the half inches. perhaps this is what the OP means.

BellaBoo 08-13-2013 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6230600)
My square rulers are perfectly square too. I didn't realize this kind of specialty non-square ruler existed. I can see all kinds of ways that it would mess me up.

LOL. You are too funny!

Rose Marie 08-13-2013 07:16 AM

My rulers are all perfect squares.
The best thing I have found is a 12 in rotary mat. With it you do not have to move the ruler, just turn the mat.

jjsnacks 08-13-2013 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6230468)
Because you usually start at 3.5" (unfinished square or block) and
finish and 3" after sewing...USUALLY. Of course there are a few patterns
that use the less common 3" but that would finish at 2.5".
When you trim you don't trim all four sides in one go. You trim two
sides, turn and trim the rest. Right? So you position your ruler so
that the 3.5" sides are on the sides of the fabric that you will trim.
Ignore the 3" sides. Does that make sense?
If I were to cut 3.5" square I would use a longer ruler and cut a
3.5" strip and then cut 3.5" the other way.

Thats how I do my squares

ghostrider 08-13-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by gobucks7 (Post 6230433)
You all are so helpful....Thank you for all the help I have gotten already. My ??? is why do the square rulers only have 2 sides of the actual square and the other 2 sides are different? For example a 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 has 2 sides that are 3 1/2 and 2 sides that are 3 inches...How do I get a total 3 1/2 inch square???? Thank you so much for your help again

The ruler itself physically measures 3½"x3½", but the markings read whole inches on two sides and half inches on the other two sides simply because they start from the one edge. You're dividing the space by a whole number plus a fraction, not just a whole number. Whole inch rulers are marked with full inches all the way around.

If the center of the ruler were the center of the markings, with all four sides having ¼" around the edge, it might look prettier, but it would be much harder to use it for squaring or measuring of any kind. :)

nativetexan 08-13-2013 04:57 PM

some of my rulers are the same. your 3 1/2 inch one, my 8 1/2 inch one. not all of mine have the extra half inch and I tend to get confused depending on which ruler I pick up, so I know what you mean. it's still square, just starts with a full inch instead of 1 and 1/4 which it would have to do if marked the same on all four sides.