Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ??? about rulers

??? about rulers

You all are so helpful....Thank you for all the help I have gotten already. My ??? is why do the square rulers only have 2 sides of the actual square and the other 2 sides are different? For example a 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 has 2 sides that are 3 1/2 and 2 sides that are 3 inches...How do I get a total 3 1/2 inch square???? Thank you so much for your help again

I'm not sure I'm following you - if the ruler is square - then all sides are equal, otherwise it is a rectangle ruler.

Blog Entries
    It's that way so you can put the edge of the ruler at the corner of the fabric at the measurement you want and only have to make two cuts to get a square. I don't like to cut large squares, I always mess up.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    Got fabric?

Because you usually start at 3.5" (unfinished square or block) and
    finish and 3" after sewing...USUALLY. Of course there are a few patterns
    that use the less common 3" but that would finish at 2.5".
    When you trim you don't trim all four sides in one go. You trim two
    sides, turn and trim the rest. Right? So you position your ruler so
    that the 3.5" sides are on the sides of the fabric that you will trim.
    Ignore the 3" sides. Does that make sense?
    If I were to cut 3.5" square I would use a longer ruler and cut a
    3.5" strip and then cut 3.5" the other way.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Go look at the Bias Square 8 ruler from That Patchwork Place. I require this one in most of my classes for squaring up blocks up to 8" in size, or any component within those blocks. It is differently marked than any other ruler on the market and this is how I use it:

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Huh? This time I'm confused -

The ruler seems to be in exactly the same position it was -

bearisgray - it is, it's the fabric square that you turn.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by klgls View Post
    bearisgray - it is, it's the fabric square that you turn.
    The 'fabric piece' still appears to be exactly the same size in the second illustration.

Blog Entries
    Just checked all of my square rulers and they are all perfectly square. You must have a special ruler of some kind.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    when you trim the right and top edges, you then remove the ruler and take the square by the left bottom corner and turn it where it now is in the top right corner. then again lay your ruler where it needs to be and trim right and top side again. Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does this all the time on her shows. i'm just used to it. http://www.quiltuniversity.com/squaring_up.htm
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

My square rulers are perfectly square too. I didn't realize this kind of specialty non-square ruler existed. I can see all kinds of ways that it would mess me up.

It would be interesting to learn how to use that ruler - I need all the help I can get when squaring up blocks.

Power Poster
    Can you give the name of the ruler or a picture of it?

Blog Entries
    well you have to watch your ruler if you are using one larger than what you are wanting to trim. As in an 8 1/2 inch ruler but trimming a 3 1/2 inch block. and sometimes rulers with that 1/2 inch on the side can be irritating.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"

Blog Entries
    my square up ruler has the markings listed differently on different sides. two sides are listed by the even inches and the other two sides are listed by the half inches. perhaps this is what the OP means.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    My square rulers are perfectly square too. I didn't realize this kind of specialty non-square ruler existed. I can see all kinds of ways that it would mess me up.
    LOL. You are too funny!
    Got fabric?

My rulers are all perfect squares.
    The best thing I have found is a 12 in rotary mat. With it you do not have to move the ruler, just turn the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Because you usually start at 3.5" (unfinished square or block) and
    finish and 3" after sewing...USUALLY. Of course there are a few patterns
    that use the less common 3" but that would finish at 2.5".
    When you trim you don't trim all four sides in one go. You trim two
    sides, turn and trim the rest. Right? So you position your ruler so
    that the 3.5" sides are on the sides of the fabric that you will trim.
    Ignore the 3" sides. Does that make sense?
    If I were to cut 3.5" square I would use a longer ruler and cut a
    3.5" strip and then cut 3.5" the other way.
    Thats how I do my squares

Quote Originally Posted by gobucks7 View Post
    You all are so helpful....Thank you for all the help I have gotten already. My ??? is why do the square rulers only have 2 sides of the actual square and the other 2 sides are different? For example a 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 has 2 sides that are 3 1/2 and 2 sides that are 3 inches...How do I get a total 3 1/2 inch square???? Thank you so much for your help again
    The ruler itself physically measures 3"x3", but the markings read whole inches on two sides and half inches on the other two sides simply because they start from the one edge. You're dividing the space by a whole number plus a fraction, not just a whole number. Whole inch rulers are marked with full inches all the way around.

If the center of the ruler were the center of the markings, with all four sides having " around the edge, it might look prettier, but it would be much harder to use it for squaring or measuring of any kind.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    some of my rulers are the same. your 3 1/2 inch one, my 8 1/2 inch one. not all of mine have the extra half inch and I tend to get confused depending on which ruler I pick up, so I know what you mean. it's still square, just starts with a full inch instead of 1 and 1/4 which it would have to do if marked the same on all four sides.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    my square up ruler has the markings listed differently on different sides. two sides are listed by the even inches and the other two sides are listed by the half inches. perhaps this is what the OP means.
    That's what I'm thinking. I have the Creative Grids rulers.

Here's an example ... is this what you're talking about??

it's printed like this so you can easily use either whole units or half units when measuring. Also notice that there are two sets of each, with one printed left to right and the other right to left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

You have a true 3 1/2-inch square ruler. If they put a 1/2 inch on all four sides your ruler would be a 4 inch square. If 1/4 inch was put on each side it would make your ruler more difficult to use if you wanted less than 3 1/2 inches.

TWO SIDES START AT ZERO AND TWO SIDES START AT HE 1/2 INCH. Dang Cap Lock!! Both end at 3.5 inches. On the ruler above as an example. The white numbers are even numbers, the black numbers are 1/2 inch numbers.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    yep, those are the lovely rulers with 1/2 increments. so it is 3 1/2 inches square.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Go look at the Bias Square 8 ruler from That Patchwork Place. I require this one in most of my classes for squaring up blocks up to 8" in size, or any component within those blocks. It is differently marked than any other ruler on the market and this is how I use it:

Jan in VA
    The picture made by Jan on page one of this thread (post no. 5), didn't show up, but I think it is messed up.

After you cut the first eighth off, you turn it around, but now the ruler should show 4 eighths that have no fabric behind, because you have cut an eighth off. Both rulers look exactly the same, and that is not correct.
    Last edited by maviskw; 08-14-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast