Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? About table toppers. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-table-toppers-t77314.html)

cjomomma 11-19-2010 06:00 AM

I'm going go try and make 1 but my question is do you make it like quilt where it is sandwiched with batting and backing? I read a tut but it did not say what to do when the top is done other than quilting and binding it. Thank you for any opinions on this.

KathyAire 11-19-2010 06:03 AM

I quilted it just like a quilt. I used thin batting. But, you know that Riversong is the expert in Table Toppers.

Hey, is that a new picture? You are wearing glasses. You are very pretty.

GrannieAnnie 11-19-2010 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I'm going go try and make 1 but my question is do you make it like quilt where it is sandwiched with batting and backing? I read a tut but it did not say what to do when the top is done other than quilting and binding it. Thank you for any opinions on this.

I've used fleece, a heavy jersey and a heavy poplin. Genearlly speaking-----------I don't want it fluffy enough to let a votive cup tip over.

cjomomma 11-19-2010 06:10 AM

Thank you Kathy! I had glasses on in the other pic but you couldn't see them. I know she the expert and I wish I could afford just to purchase from her. I love her toppers!!

Melinda in Tulsa 11-19-2010 06:10 AM

I've made them both ways, just front and backing and quilted, and then with w & N for batting. I personally like a batting in the middle. I just love tablerunners! Talk about instant gratification, LOL.

cjomomma 11-19-2010 06:14 AM

Thank you everyone!! Now I think I can dive in!! Wish me luck!!!

raptureready 11-19-2010 06:22 AM

Love the new pix. You can make them with or without batting or even use muslin or flannel for batting. Just make sure it's washed first because it'll shrink badly. If you want a little stiffness without batting you can use a heavier fabric for the backing. You can also use the "best part" of used sheets or blankets for batting too. Pretty much anything that's washable.

klgreene 11-19-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Thank you everyone!! Now I think I can dive in!! Wish me luck!!!

I used a thin batting on all the toppers I've made. Steam ironed when done so they lay as flat as they can.

Love the new pic, are you going to change it again. LOL

Kappy 11-19-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Love the new pix. You can make them with or without batting or even use muslin or flannel for batting. Just make sure it's washed first because it'll shrink badly. If you want a little stiffness without batting you can use a heavier fabric for the backing. You can also use the "best part" of used sheets or blankets for batting too. Pretty much anything that's washable.

Would old worn out bath towels work. I usually cut them up for rags, but if they would work for batting in a runner...Hmmm. :idea:

Deb watkins 11-19-2010 11:43 AM

Like the new pic!