Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it "acceptable" to finish this quilt with 3 borders on 3 sides (not on the top)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/acceptable-finish-quilt-3-borders-3-sides-not-top-t277700.html)

nanna-up-north 04-13-2016 03:22 AM

I've done quilts where the top was different from the other 3 sides and they look fine. The tucking under the pillow hides the top anyway.

redstilettos 04-13-2016 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter (Post 7521891)
My only thought is that maybe you'd want a narrow, maybe 3" border at the top to give you something to grab on to when you are pulling the quilt up or making the bed instead of putting a strain on the diagonal piecing.

Never thought of that....smart cookie!

ManiacQuilter2 04-13-2016 04:32 AM

Yes, it is acceptable. I never did like those wide borders on the top but then you have to extend the length of the body of the quilt so you are not short at the bottom. That is the way quilts from the 1800s were made.

toverly 04-13-2016 04:53 AM

It makes sense to do it that way. Often there are pillow shams or pillows at the top. Great quilt.

Snooze2978 04-13-2016 06:25 AM

I don't see why not. I'm going to be making a french braid for my bed and thinking along the same lines too.

QuiltnNan 04-13-2016 07:18 AM

that's the way i've seen so many vintage quilts. it'll look fine

linda8450 04-13-2016 08:28 AM

Thank you all for your feedback! I usually don't follow a pattern, sort of free lance as I go, so never sure where I will end up! I did put the 2 1/2" brown sashing across the top, and will add the binding to that. I agree, not having anything but the braid at the top wouldn't be a good thing, too much stretchy stretchy! I just finished piecing the back to size and hope to send it to the long arm quilter this week! I love the colors, hope my daughter will as well!

tessagin 04-13-2016 08:33 AM

I have to agree with the symmetrical people but it's your quilt. There is no right or wrong, just preference. It's gorgeous.

Pennyhal 04-13-2016 08:54 AM

I have a store bought quilt that does not have binding at the top. Just make yours any way you like!

onaemtnest 04-13-2016 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca (Post 7521816)
Actually I prefer it with borders on three sides. You know right away where the top is. My store bought king size comforter is kind of that way no trim on the top edge.

I'm at that point with a Queen sized bed spread I'm making a modified pattern from MSQ tutorial on Flying Dutchman first time I've followed one of her tutorials, even though I watch them all. (I wanted the quilt to cover the bed skirt a bit) quilt.

I really like your idea of knowing which way is up :0). It seems whenever making the guest bed I get it sideways. Since this is one of the first I've made just for us and not a gift, it gives me the freedom to do as I please with this quilt.