Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   accepting sewing supplies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accepting-sewing-supplies-t25321.html)

chamby 09-11-2009 05:43 AM

My husband is the pastor of our church. One of our members is always giving me fabric and notions for quilting and sewing. I am so very greatful for these wonderful gifts. However I do feel each time that I receive something from her that I am obligated to make something for her out of the stash she gives me. Sometimes this does not leave me time to work on other things.I work a full time job and have limited time to sew. She told me last night that she has more fabric for me. I offered to pay her for the fabric. She stated that it was a gift that she wanted to give to me. How would you handle this without hurting someone feelings. ( she is very sensitive) :?:

lfw045 09-11-2009 05:50 AM

Maybe your church has a Ladies Auxillary that can put the supplies to good use by making lap quilts for the homeless or less fortunate. Maybe you could enlist her to start one in the church if you have some ladies interested. Just a thought.

justme 09-11-2009 05:50 AM

give her a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant in appreciation... or a book if you know she enjoys reading...

jbsstrawberry 09-11-2009 06:09 AM

Perhaps you could take one of your sewing days to make up a quantity of "quick" gifts to have on hand for her. Say, placemats, hot pads, coasters, nice little gifts. That way you'll always have something to gift her kindness back, without taking up so much of your sewing time for things you want or need to work on.

mytwopals 09-11-2009 06:45 AM

I suspect, she's not expecting anything in return. She just wants to give some of her stash to someone she knows will use it. Surprise her with something at Xmas or her birthday. Making something for her once or twice a year shouldn't be too much of a burden. It wouldn't need to be anything large. Remember, it's the thought that counts.

SharonC 09-11-2009 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I suspect, she's not expecting anything in return. She just wants to give some of her stash to someone she knows will use it. Surprise her with something at Xmas or her birthday. Making something for her once or twice a year shouldn't be too much of a burden. It wouldn't need to be anything large. Remember, it's the thought that counts.

Agree. This is probably her way of giving you a gift and keeps giving you more stash b/c you're returning a gift....then she gives a gift, etc.

mommaB 09-11-2009 09:03 AM

I agree with the one or two thank-you items per year. If she quits giving you fabric and notions if you don't respond with something other than a heartfelt "thank you", well you'll know what her intentions were in the first place. Or if you make and donate with what she gives you, just show her the finished item , possibly include her on the label somehow?

SulaBug 09-11-2009 09:10 AM

I would think that your gesture of
making a couple of thank you items,
would have been plenty. Just let her
know how thrilled you are with her
generous offerings!! A meaningful
Thank You, can go along way.
:D :D :D :D

Ninnie 09-11-2009 09:17 AM

Just an heart felt thank you goes a long way. You should not feel obligated to make her something every time.I doubt that she expects it of you everytime either.

RedGarnet222 09-11-2009 09:39 AM

I think if you have a problem with this lady, talk to her about it. I am wondering if she has ever asked you to make something for her. Maybe you have felt obligated without reason.