Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Go ??? Really??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-go-really-t153524.html)

goosepoint 09-16-2011 05:41 PM

I could not stand not having all the toys to use for quilting. Back in Feb I caught the Go for $199 at Joanns and got free shipping so I jumped all over that. When it came I was tickled pink. But even though I would look at it and pat it on it's head I did not try it out until tonight. Good Grief :? I was cutting 2 layers of flannel (from old shirts) and I worked on this thing for 3 hours. It is not an easy machine to use. I must be doing something wrong. Everyone has gone on about how nice it is for some of us with arthritis but I swear - no way anyone with arthritis can use this thing. It worked me to death. I am trying to type this to you all and I have my arms laying on a pillow because my shoulders and the sockets are killing me. Tonight will be double pain pills before I go to bed. :-( Can anyone tell me if this is suppose to be so tough??? I have got to be using or doing it wrong. The die I was using is the 8" rag die.

carolaug 09-16-2011 05:46 PM

it is hard to put through at first until you break it in. I only do one layer of jeans or flannel on it...do one layer until you break it in...I have not use the rag die...also...turn the die slightly that make a huge difference

Jill 09-16-2011 05:57 PM

I've not used the rag die, but I found it did take a few turns to break it in. I have arthritis in my hands and left shoulder and need a shoulder replacement, but I keep putting it off. Anyway, even with my shoulder problems it didn't bother me at all.

goosepoint 09-16-2011 05:58 PM

I hope it gets better. No matter what it has got to be good exercise for my arms. If this thing was electric it would be awesome ;) .

auntpiggylpn 09-16-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
I could not stand not having all the toys to use for quilting. Back in Feb I caught the Go for $199 at Joanns and got free shipping so I jumped all over that. When it came I was tickled pink. But even though I would look at it and pat it on it's head I did not try it out until tonight. Good Grief :? I was cutting 2 layers of flannel (from old shirts) and I worked on this thing for 3 hours. It is not an easy machine to use. I must be doing something wrong. Everyone has gone on about how nice it is for some of us with arthritis but I swear - no way anyone with arthritis can use this thing. It worked me to death. I am trying to type this to you all and I have my arms laying on a pillow because my shoulders and the sockets are killing me. Tonight will be double pain pills before I go to bed. :-( Can anyone tell me if this is suppose to be so tough??? I have got to be using or doing it wrong. The die I was using is the 8" rag die.

I just finished a rag quilt using the rag die and it was a NIGHTMARE! I was using 2 layers of flannel and 1 layer of cotton and it was extremely difficult to turn the crank. I've had mine for about 9 months and I don't have any problems with the other dies. The machine is tight when you first start to use it but it will loosen up.

M.I.Late 09-16-2011 06:33 PM

Sounds like we have to break them in. One layer at a time at first. Preferably a nice crispy cotton. Wonder how long it will take to "be broke in".

Honchey 09-16-2011 06:43 PM

I have used mine a few times using the 'rag' die and find that using it on a table lower than a "counter high" table helps and having the die on an angle is important to getting the cutting "started" is the way to go. I also have rubber shelf liner underneath the "go".

auntpiggylpn 09-16-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
I have used mine a few times using the 'rag' die and find that using it on a table lower than a "counter high" table helps and having the die on an angle is important to getting the cutting "started" is the way to go. I also have rubber shelf liner underneath the "go".

:thumbup:

goosepoint 09-16-2011 06:57 PM

Oh yea - I definately need to use the rubber shelf liner. I had to chase it all over the table. Good idea!

peggy119 09-16-2011 07:04 PM

I have terrible arthritis and love my GO. I have not used the rag die, but the others have made cutting out a quilt so much easier for me. Hope it gets better for you. Give it another try with a different die.