Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Users? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-users-t259423.html)

Mamagus 01-09-2015 06:32 AM

Accuquilt Users?

DH gave me the machine, and some dies for Christmas with the direction to buy more dies "if" I need them! Lol as if I wouldn't want more!

So far I have 2 1/2" strips AND 2 1/2" squares. And of course the die that came in the package with the machine.

Which ones do you recommend as being the most useful?

PaperPrincess 01-09-2015 06:39 AM

Is there a size strip or shape that it seems like you were always cutting in the past? Then get that one! Otherwise I would buy the dies as needed for a planned project, unless you run into a great sale, and then I would get geometrics.

Mamagus 01-09-2015 07:05 AM

I have to do mail order so I was hoping to build my die collection in one or two orders. But your advice is good!

nena 01-09-2015 07:59 AM

If you ever want to do Grandmothers Flower garden, Get the die for them.I would have never have gotten them cut right without it. I have a lot of the dies because of a bad back. Really helps,I also use the 61/2 square die a lot.

Onebyone 01-09-2015 08:47 AM

I thought when I bought it that a couple of dies would be all I ever used. LOL. I have about 50 dies. My favorite lately is the BOB dies. One cut and six quilt blocks are cut at once. I have't found a quilt pattern that I can't use a die to cut the pieces.

abc123 01-09-2015 09:09 AM

My suggestion is to study the Mix & Match Quilt Block Collection brochure that AccuQuilt has on their site. That particular document really helped me determine which dies I could not do without. Also, the BOBs are really nice to add to your collection.

Also, keep in mind, some dies can be used to make additional geometric cuts; the strip dies can cross-cut for the same size squares; ex: 3 1/2" strip cross-cut to 3 1/2" squares, etc.

You will love the AccuQuilt cutter and I agree with the other member that thought she would only need a few select dies - you will end up buying "all" the dies!

Prism99 01-09-2015 11:48 AM

I agree with holding off and buying only as you need them. The dies that have proved most useful to me are the triangle dies (because all the dog ears are cut off, making them very easy to piece together) and dies with unusual shapes -- such as the tumbler dies (easy, fun, small great for baby quilts), hexagons, circles, etc. I also like some of the pattern dies, such as the hunter's star, that make cutting and matching pieces for these blocks very easy. I am not a fan of the strip dies because I actually find it easier to cut my own strips using my June Tailor mat; however, many people like them.

If I were ever to get into making fusible applique quilts, then I'm sure the applique dies would be lots of fun.

lakekids 01-09-2015 01:02 PM

I got the Big Shot pro - because it can use Go dies, Sizzix dies, and some of the Studio dies. My first die was the log cabin die - because I wanted to try one and I did not want to have to cut 1 1/2 inch strips and then sub cut to the desired length. Then I got the 1 1/2 inch, 2 inch, 2 1/2 inch, and 3 1/2 inch strip dies. I also bought the winding ways die(because it is on my bucket list), a triangle in square die (think tri-recs), a double wedding ring (another bucket list item), the Studio English paper piecing hex dies. I have bought a couple of multiple square dies - even though I could cut squares using the strip dies.

My next project is to make a list of my dies so that I don't buy the same thing more than once. LOL!

tesspug 01-09-2015 01:27 PM

I bought 3" & 4" triangles, 3 &4" squares and the 3x6" rectangle. I can make all kinds of stars and flying geese.

Onebyone 01-09-2015 03:52 PM

My next project is to make a list of my dies so that I don't buy the same thing more than once. LOL!
I am a member of the Accuquilt Facebook group and buying a die you already have is a very common thing to do! Many post they found two of the same dies in their stash. I have bought one die twice myself. LOL