Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   accuracy--Am I too critical? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuracy-am-i-too-critical-t250973.html)

pojo 07-29-2014 11:47 AM

ask yourself is your life perfect my isn't
so my quilts aren't either.

ILoveToQuilt 07-29-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6822835)
Back to the original question:

No, my piecing is not "perfect."

However, most of the time, I do think it is "good enough" to satisfy me. I do unsew and redo when I think it is necessary.

Yup...this says it all!

Jennie and Me 07-29-2014 11:50 AM

Relatively picky but not obsessive. I'm a long arm quilter and quilting can hide a lot of mistakes!

eparys 07-29-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6822851)
My piecing is not perfect. I will re-do a couple of times but after that I will either cut new pieces(too much ripping distorts the pieces) or decide if I can live with it.

t really depends on what it is. If it impacts the "size" of the block, corners/seams that are high contrast and stick out, Star points that are way off - I do as Tartan does.

If however a match is a couple of threads off, squares of background fabric meeting or generally not in my face -and the seam will be able to be finessed I am more tolerant.

citruscountyquilter 07-29-2014 12:48 PM

Points and seams matching are important to me and I will rip out if I have to but I find if I take my time preparing the fabric (washing sometimes and starching if necessary), careful cutting and matching and pinning I rarely have to rip out. I mark my points with a pin and then with a marking pencil on the wrong side so I have a place to shoot for with my seam. If I go too narrow then I just sew again to hit the point and I don't rip out since it's in the seam allowance anyway. If I go too wide and cut off the point then I rip. I pin my seam intersections. It takes more time than just stitching but it is rare that they don't match so very little time is spent on ripping and repairing. I try not to be too OCD over it but it's hard for me not to be.

kamaiarigby 07-29-2014 12:54 PM

I do my very best to match my seams, but as I only do charity quilts these days I dont think anyone is going to hand back a quilt because one or two of my seams do not match, I am more intent making quilts for these more unnfortuneated folk, i have enough fabric for a lifetime, I still make quilts for my very small family

ube quilting 07-29-2014 01:15 PM

I would literally never get anything sewn together and quilted if perfection is what I am working towards. My goal is to make a pretty and useful quilt.

Open your dictionary to the word perfection. Now, cross it out.

Other words to cross out:

afraid
can't
intimidated
can't
hard
can't
rules
can't

Get the idea!:D
peace

ManiacQuilter2 07-29-2014 01:19 PM

F&P says you should NEVER rip more than three times otherwise the fabric is going to get wonky. This is suppose to be a hobby so try to loosen up a bit and enjoy the process and learn from your mistakes. WE ALL HAVE at one time or another !!

quilt1950 07-29-2014 01:28 PM

If it doesn't match the first time, I will 'unsew', and then use my Elmers glue stick. If I can't get it to match with the glue stick, I'll leave it go.

Doggramma 07-29-2014 01:42 PM

My piecing is rarely perfect. I do a lot of fudging and easing in, and when the quilt is done everything usually lookss good. I only obsess on it if it's really bad and it's not going to fit with the other blocks.