Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   accuracy--Am I too critical? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuracy-am-i-too-critical-t250973.html)

Kitty10628 07-29-2014 10:56 AM

accuracy--Am I too critical?

I obsess over my seams lining up. Sometimes I rip the seam and try over and over and over!

Is your piecing perfect?

PABerard 07-29-2014 10:58 AM

Nope, but improves with every quilt. And no one has ever noticed a bad seam. Thank goodness.

oldpiglady 07-29-2014 11:01 AM

I am the same way. If things don't match...I rip and re-sew until they do. Especially with paper piecing. I think even though it will only be me that sees that quilt..I know I will ALWAYS know there is a boo-boo , so I want it right. Although, I have been told .."if you have to rip it out more than 3 times...get over it."

tessagin 07-29-2014 11:01 AM

Life is too short and you shouldn't be at war with yourself over an imperfection.

bearisgray 07-29-2014 11:10 AM

If you are redoing seams over and over - maybe you need to go back further -

Are your pieces cut as accurately as possible? are your pattern pieces/templates correct? (Sometimes they are wrong.) Is there an error in the directions? (Sometimes that happens, too.)

Some fabrics, if unwashed, do shrink when they are pressed (with moisture) -

Yes, I do try for accuracy and precision - but I feel that after three tries, I need to recut the fabric pieces because all that stitching and unsewing has weakened the seam line.

And why did I mention the other things? Because I have encountered them. Some of the things one learns from experience.

I also will see if there is some other reason why things aren't working - because I usually get fairly close to what I am expecting to get.

Perfection? not possible.

I usually try to do as well as I can do - but there are times - when good enough - IS - good enough!

After three tries, if one intersection out of several just won't line up - and everything else is - so be it.

bearisgray 07-29-2014 11:13 AM

Back to the original question:

No, my piecing is not "perfect."

However, most of the time, I do think it is "good enough" to satisfy me. I do unsew and redo when I think it is necessary.

quiltingcandy 07-29-2014 11:13 AM

It depends on how bad it looks to me. There used to be a traveling Amish/Mennonite sales show - and I bought a pot holder that didn't match up perfectly. It hangs in my sewing room to remind me that it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect to still be pretty. And time to sew is too short sometimes to waste on something only I am going to notice. My quilts are made for people that I care about and they don't look for the imperfections.

Tartan 07-29-2014 11:27 AM

My piecing is not perfect. I will re-do a couple of times but after that I will either cut new pieces(too much ripping distorts the pieces) or decide if I can live with it.

Kitty10628 07-29-2014 11:36 AM

Three times and then I will move on!

Thanks.

SueSew 07-29-2014 11:46 AM

If I have a better than 50% chance of getting the incorrect thing right the second time around, I will persevere. But I would never rip something out more than once or twice for fear of hurting the fabric! I would cut new pieces and do it again. If it is critical to the quilt, I would do practice pieces until I got the hang of it.
I do not see a big virtue to ripping things out so you can practice on them again and again. Cut yourself some slack or admit you need to practice a certain technique and then go back when you are ready. Relax! :) :) :)