Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   accuracy--Am I too critical? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuracy-am-i-too-critical-t250973.html)

Snooze2978 07-30-2014 04:45 AM

If its close, I leave it, if its blatantly noticeable, I redo it. Most of my friends who receive my quilts don't have any idea about quilting so I'm safe there. They just look at all the pieces in the quilt, the quilting itself and think I'm amazing. Why would I want to change their opinion??????

But I am getting better at matching my seams. Just finished 216 3.5 4-patches for a quilt I'm working on. Having the seams nest sure works nicely and pretty much they all matched pretty good. Maybe a few are off but just a scant thread or two but I can live with that.

maminstl 07-30-2014 05:16 AM

You guys all have a little more patience than me - If it bothers me, I will rip it twice. If still not perfect, then so be it. No one, even me, will notice it when it's finished.

Morag 07-30-2014 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6822835)
Back to the original question:

No, my piecing is not "perfect."

However, most of the time, I do think it is "good enough" to satisfy me. I do unsew and redo when I think it is necessary.

Ditto.....

FroggyinTexas 07-30-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 (Post 6822814)
I obsess over my seams lining up. Sometimes I rip the seam and try over and over and over!

Is your piecing perfect?

No! And yes, you are too critical. Unless you are making quilts for sale or you are obsessed with winning prizes, be as accurate as you can be without giving yourself a mental hernia. froggyintexas

Sewnoma 07-30-2014 07:39 AM

No, definitely not perfect.

Sometimes I un-sew and re-sew, sometimes I don't. Depends on how bad the boo-boo is, and who the quilt is for. If it's for myself I just leave it unless it's something I know I will constantly see and go mad about. If it's for family, I usually leave it unless it's really bad or it's on an "important" quilt. (Like, a wedding or baby quilt is more "important" than a random quilt I give for a birthday or Christmas.) I try to make each quilt better than the last, but "important" quilts get extra special attention.

I find that if I'm super careful right from the start, I usually don't have to re-sew anything. I made a quilt specifically to be entered into the fair last year and I was meticulously careful every step of the way, trying to make the best quilt I possibly could, and it went together so neatly that almost every seam matched perfectly and I didn't have to even touch my seam ripper once. Simple boxy blocks, but still! I'd only been quilting about year at that point and I was super proud of myself, LOL. (Got a 4th place ribbon too!)

But being extra super careful is stressful and takes away a lot of the fun for me, so MOST of the time I fly by the seat of my pants a little more, accept flaws and mistakes as they happen, and just enjoy myself. :)

IrishgalfromNJ 07-30-2014 08:02 AM

I will rip something once if I can't live with it, but most of the time I can live with imperfection in my piecing. I always remind myself that I am a hobby quilter and I quilt for fun.

blondeslave 07-30-2014 08:04 AM

I just worked on a wedge border for a quilt. I'd never done this before and even with watching the tutorial several times I still managed to overlap the wrong side of the point so my first attempt would have all the points cut off. I started again and as I started to understand how the triangles needed to go together to keep the points I did a lot of ripping and resewing. It was worth it in the end.

MissJMac 07-30-2014 08:08 AM

Unless you're going for competition, I'd let it go. If doing it for yourself and you can live with it, let it go. If it's a gift for a loved one, let it go - they'll be too busy appreciating your efforts to even notice.

bearisgray 07-30-2014 08:31 AM

I have learned that what is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another person.

Mismatched seams may be more stressful to some than redoing them for a closer match.

joe'smom 07-30-2014 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 (Post 6822814)
I obsess over my seams lining up. Sometimes I rip the seam and try over and over and over!

Is your piecing perfect?

Yes, my piecing is perfect. (Not!) :)

What's important is what satisfies you. Are you obsessed because of an outside standard you are trying to live up to? Or are you obsessed because you are precise by nature, and find it satisfying to be exact? I think whatever we are happy with is the way we should quilt.