Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ack - the tedium is getting to me... 14 done, 6 to go... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ack-tedium-getting-me-14-done-6-go-t170349.html)

Joy Higdon 11-30-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole (Post 4734768)
The quilt I'm working on now has 4 small (1 inch) borders and then a large border - which adds up to 20 border strips. I pushed through the first 10 strips over the weekend and have managed to get 4 more on tonight. I'd really like to get the last 6 on, but ADD is striking hard and I'm getting easily distracted.

Measure, pin, sew, press, measure pin, sew, press... repeat... repeat... repeat...

I keep telling myself that it will be worth it, and it will look really good... but then I get drawn back out to find something else to do...

Anyone else reach this point at times? I'm sure I'm not alone.

Cheers, K

No, you are not alone. I am working on a quilt in a day that I started a year ago. Sooo boring.

CorgiNole 11-30-2011 07:26 AM

Thanks all. I'll have to remember the tip on mitering the corners if I ever decide on a border intensive pattern again. I haven't mitered corners yet, so this might not be the best on to learn on. I ended up going to bed last night. Will try again tonight while the guys are at hockey practice. At least the last 6 strips are cut and ready.

I'll post pictures this evening, as the camera is at home.

Cheers, K

Lori S 11-30-2011 07:42 AM

Oh I do feel your pain! I have to make myself complete a tedious project by rewarding myself with a fabric purchase when its done. I will not allow myself to purchase any new fabric until I get it DONE. If I let myself start a new project or do anything else.. I will drift further away from ever completing it. Confession- I have had a few quilts that are smaller than intended!
Do post photos . I am excited to see the quilt top !

Geri B 11-30-2011 08:11 AM

I guess that is why I like doing scrappy quilts...each one is like something new...but when I start putting it together and adding border(s), then I too get antsy and the mind starts to "plan" the next project and can't finish fast enough!!!!

quiltsRfun 11-30-2011 09:33 AM

I' m right there with you. Borders always slow me down, even when they're simple and few. It's that "measure, sew, pin" process that I don't like. I agree with those who advised a chocolate break. :)

Jingle 11-30-2011 02:35 PM

I am always planning the next quilt I want to make as I am finishing one. When sewing the binding on by hand I race the clock to get to a certain time, or I race a talk show on the radio.

KarenK 11-30-2011 04:27 PM

You are not alone! I discovered what works best for me is to set a timer for a 45/15 minutes combination. I'll sew for 45 minutes, then get up and do something totally different for 15 minutes - water the plants, dust, vacuum, etc.

q.alba 12-01-2011 12:03 AM

CorgiNole, I hear you! Sometimes, it feels like it takes as long to put borders on as it does to make the rest of the quilt.

AndiR and KarenK: I am going to have to try your ways to stay on task. I think they would work for me.

sashie 12-01-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4735082)
I'm working on a quilt for my Mum - same block, 30 times, with only an occasional piece in a different colour to break the monotony. It seemed like a good idea when I started...am trying (and failing at the moment) to do a block a day, and am also working on other projects.

so how many blocks have you done? I have been working on a quilt with 25 blocks. Have 3 to go. Actually have had 3 to do for quite a while! A block a day sounds so easy. Can't understand why it's not! Good luck with yours. Maybe we'll both finish them soon.

PS Love your avatar!

annesthreads 12-01-2011 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by sashie (Post 4738405)
so how many blocks have you done? I have been working on a quilt with 25 blocks. Have 3 to go. Actually have had 3 to do for quite a while! A block a day sounds so easy. Can't understand why it's not! Good luck with yours. Maybe we'll both finish them soon.

PS Love your avatar!

Thankyou! It's a Hidden Wells pattern - looks impressive but isn't really that difficult.

I'm only halfway along the second row of my quilt top - have done 8 or 9 blocks of the 30. It took me a long time to get going because I really struggled at first - made every possible silly mistake, so the first few blocks were all made twice! I really do need to get back to trying to do a block a day - it would be finished by the end of the month!