Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ack - the tedium is getting to me... 14 done, 6 to go... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ack-tedium-getting-me-14-done-6-go-t170349.html)

CorgiNole 11-29-2011 08:23 PM

Ack - the tedium is getting to me... 14 done, 6 to go...

The quilt I'm working on now has 4 small (1 inch) borders and then a large border - which adds up to 20 border strips. I pushed through the first 10 strips over the weekend and have managed to get 4 more on tonight. I'd really like to get the last 6 on, but ADD is striking hard and I'm getting easily distracted.

Measure, pin, sew, press, measure pin, sew, press... repeat... repeat... repeat...

I keep telling myself that it will be worth it, and it will look really good... but then I get drawn back out to find something else to do...

Anyone else reach this point at times? I'm sure I'm not alone.

Cheers, K

LeslieFrost 11-29-2011 08:26 PM

Wow, that's a lot of borders! Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Make a small goal, do that much, then give yourself a break. Chocolate maybe? Leftover pumpkin pie?

Good luck!

SandyinZ4 11-29-2011 08:28 PM

Post a pic for now and then each couple of days or whenever you get a bit more done, post another so we can see your progress and encourage you. Will be worth it when finished.

woody 11-29-2011 08:29 PM

I did a paper pieced quilt for my father, the same block over and over again, and you can't chain piece it to make it go quicker, I was bored to tears with it.
Persist with it and I'm sure it will be worth it in the end ;)

AndiR 11-29-2011 08:55 PM

When I'm quilting a large quilt with the same motif block after block, it can get tedious too. What I like to do is listen to a good audiobook. I only let myself listen to it when I'm working on the quilt, so if I want to find out 'who dun it', I HAVE to go back and keep working on the project! LOL

Something to consider next time you have a lot of border strips is this - if you miter the corners, you can sew all five strips together first as a strip set, THEN add that to the quilt top. Mitering a border is a little more difficult than a straight border, but can save you time when you have multiple borders.

Keep going, you're almost there!!!!

EmbQuilt 11-29-2011 09:01 PM

AndiR good advice...I think I'll try the audio book with some of my Christmas presents I need to somehow do.

DonnaB 11-29-2011 09:57 PM

I usually get bored with one project, so I will usually work on at least 2-3 at a time, course it takes longer to complete any one project.

trif 11-29-2011 10:41 PM

If I get like this I do the opposite of DonnaB I tell myself I have to complete the tedious project BEFORE I start another one so I get it accomplished, don't have another UFO and then miraculously I get it finished. Good luck, find a reward for yourself.

sewbeadit 11-30-2011 12:06 AM

Yes, I find my mind wondering and also will get up and go do something else to get away from it, then I forget what I was doing and don't get it done.

annesthreads 11-30-2011 12:14 AM

I'm working on a quilt for my Mum - same block, 30 times, with only an occasional piece in a different colour to break the monotony. It seemed like a good idea when I started...am trying (and failing at the moment) to do a block a day, and am also working on other projects.