Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Acuquilt strictly for scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/acuquilt-strictly-scraps-t306027.html)

quiltingshorttimer 07-30-2019 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8282939)
Please explain to me how this system works. I've looked it up on Amazon and now I'm totally confused. You purchase the system (machine) in a certain size, or is it one size fits all buy additional dies and mats to go with the size machine you have. I can see that (maybe). Can you use larger dies with the machine or do you have to stick to the size that fits your machine? is it a hand crank, battery powered or electric? I've always cut everything out with rulers, templates, and rotary cutters. Had never considered an Accuquilt before today.

Accuquilt basically has 3 Go cutters--the Baby (or Me); the Go manual or the GoBIG (electric). Plus the Studio cutter. All do fold close, although the Studio is definitely bigger and able to take all the dies (although a shim is needed to heighten the Go dies so they are usable.) The Studio dies can not be used in the Go's. The Go manual and Go Big can take all the Go dies; the Baby (or Me) is not as wide of throat and so is limited on some of the wider dies like the Blocks on Board (cuts an entire block of pieces). You buy the dies and use them with a cutting mat--no mat;no cuts. Mats are meant to wear out and need replacing occasionally. The company website has many videos on how to use so you minimize waste, etc.
Dies are pricey (the machines are frequently on sale at Thanksgiving time and dies go on sale several times a year--signing up for the emails from Accuquilt will alert you)but are made to last "forever".
For the Go's there are Qubes in several sizes (6", 8", 9", 10" & 12") and their companion sets--the Qubes are a collection of dies that can be used in many different ways (Eleanor Burns has a downloadable book for 72 blocks from a Qube) There are also many dies for applique shapes. Plus you can pay to have a custom die made.

i have the Go Big and love it. Not only are my cuts more accurate, but it goes quicker, and my carpal and shoulder aren't screaming at me. I love that I can cut 4-6 layers at a time and they are accurate; that if I accordion fold my fabric, I really don't "waste" fabric; and use my 2.5" strip die on every quilt--making binding! And making bias binding is a breeze and accurate!

Would I buy it just to make scrap quilts? maybe!

Onebyone 07-31-2019 05:27 AM

But I didn't like how the die would dull and not cut well anymore. And I didn't find the Accuquilt cuts all that "accurate". The fabric can distort during the process.
I've never had a die get dull even after all day group cutting. Fabric grain is very important when die cutting, along with the angle the die goes in the cutter. Do it wrong and the fabric will distort. I have taken several Accuquilt Shop Events and have learned there is more then cranking a die through. One event I cut six layers of fabric and a couple were distorted. The rep cut six identical layers and they were perfect. Then she showed us what I did that caused the distortion.