Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acuquilt strictly for scraps >

Acuquilt strictly for scraps

Acuquilt strictly for scraps

Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 PM

Default Acuquilt strictly for scraps

I would never use Accuquilt to create my blocks. I like Deb Hunter’s methods and tools. In our thinking we even reduce purchased patterns to the smallest unit and guesstimate our fabric requirements so we can use her tools and methods. That said, I have a lot of scraps I am starting to feel guilty about. My husband and I enjoy cutting out the fabric for quilts together. Would an Accuquilt really be worth it just to cut up scraps? Don’t think using it to cut up a bunch of strips then having to subcut into squares sounds like fun. Can you use it to cut small scraps into squares? What size would you start with? The dies are so expensive. I enjoy looking at other peoples scrap quilts but trying to create something out of all those scraps boggles my mind. I don’t even buy fabric unless I have a project in mind. What input and wisdom can you wizards of fabric and thread impart.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:29 PM
Gay

I was given a Sizzix for mothers day/birthday - for cutting other stuff - and honestly feel that by the time you take to set fabric & cutter in place, then wind it through, it would take longer to cut scraps into squares or triangles than the normal method. My arm would be worn out in half an hour.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 PM

I love my Acuquilt , I wished I would have bought this years ago,
Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 AM

First I would decide what kind of quilt I wanted to make with my scraps......string blocks, HST, nine patch, etc. then decide if you could cut them better by hand or with an Accuquilt. That said, I do have an Accuquilt and love it. I use mainly for shapes that are hard to cut by hand.....flowers, hearts,leaves, stars, circles, animals, etc. My quild had a 9 patch swap and we could use scraps if we wanted. Saw a Nine patch die in a quilt store and bought it. Lay out my scraps, even overlapping if needed and cut nine 2 1/2 inch squares in a flash. More if you double layer the fabric. Saves me a lot of time, uses up my scraps, and I have a project to use them in. I feel I am getting my monies worth out of the die, which I think was $60 but the store gave a 20% discount. Also know that it would take me a long time to cut my scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares using a ruler and rotary cutter. And 2 1/2 inch squares are extremely versatile.
On the other hand, my first scrappy quilt was string blocks sewn to a foundation of thin muslin. I just cut the scraps into strips of varying sizes with a ruler and rotary cutter and went with it.
Just a bit of "food for thought"!
Old 07-30-2019, 03:03 AM

I love my Accuquilt especially when I go to sew the pieces together. They come out much better, things are square, seams met where they are supposed to.

I already take Parkinson's medication for restless leg. I think it keeps the shaking to a minimum.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:26 AM

I love mine too. I do cut strips with it. 2 1/2” then sub cut sideways and you have 2 1/2” squares. 1 1/2” strips are really useful to me. I am a scrappy quilter and these are my favorite sizes. 1 1/2” strips sewn together and then cut into 11/2 “ makes a great square. Lots of different ways to use and cut and like Battle Axe, my corners meet!
Old 07-30-2019, 03:32 AM

The Accuquilt is at the top of my wish list. I think about it everyday and do hope that one year Santa will bring it to me if it doesn't arrive for any other special or made up occasion. I read about it just about every day and what it can do. Thanks for the input on this device and the dyes. I will be watching this thread closely.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:07 AM

Please explain to me how this system works. I've looked it up on Amazon and now I'm totally confused. You purchase the system (machine) in a certain size, or is it one size fits all buy additional dies and mats to go with the size machine you have. I can see that (maybe). Can you use larger dies with the machine or do you have to stick to the size that fits your machine? is it a hand crank, battery powered or electric? I've always cut everything out with rulers, templates, and rotary cutters. Had never considered an Accuquilt before today.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I have an Accuquilt but I don't have a good setup for it yet. That is important, I'm finding out.
Linda- the system you buy dictates which dies you can use. I have the Go and it uses most of them. I've only bought the common shapes and strips so far. But it really does increase your accuracy.. That's what I like about it the most.
I need to find a spot to keep it in so I have regular access to it.

I've bought most of my dies on Ebay. They are priced better in my opinion. But I always make sure they are new.
Mine is the hand crank which I have no trouble with but the electric looks nice. I just didn't want to spend the extra money on it. If you have any physical issues it's probably a better choice.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:40 AM

If you are thinking about mostly (only?) using it for cutting scraps into strips, squares, or rectangles, would you consider something like a Stripology ruler? It's a slotted ruler for cutting strips which you can then rotate to subcut rectangles or squares. Including ironing, I can easily cut a jelly roll in well under an hour. It's ridiculous fast and I have such a blast using it every time I can. The Stripology is a little thicker than the Shape Cut, but I have the longer/shorter one so you do have to just be aware of how you're folding your fabric. Since you're mostly planning to cut scraps, it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Just a thought and would be much cheaper than an Accuquilt+dies.