View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 AM
Murphy224

First I would decide what kind of quilt I wanted to make with my scraps......string blocks, HST, nine patch, etc. then decide if you could cut them better by hand or with an Accuquilt. That said, I do have an Accuquilt and love it. I use mainly for shapes that are hard to cut by hand.....flowers, hearts,leaves, stars, circles, animals, etc. My quild had a 9 patch swap and we could use scraps if we wanted. Saw a Nine patch die in a quilt store and bought it. Lay out my scraps, even overlapping if needed and cut nine 2 1/2 inch squares in a flash. More if you double layer the fabric. Saves me a lot of time, uses up my scraps, and I have a project to use them in. I feel I am getting my monies worth out of the die, which I think was $60 but the store gave a 20% discount. Also know that it would take me a long time to cut my scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares using a ruler and rotary cutter. And 2 1/2 inch squares are extremely versatile.
On the other hand, my first scrappy quilt was string blocks sewn to a foundation of thin muslin. I just cut the scraps into strips of varying sizes with a ruler and rotary cutter and went with it.
Just a bit of "food for thought"!