Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acuquilt strictly for scraps >

Acuquilt strictly for scraps

Acuquilt strictly for scraps

Old 07-30-2019, 04:52 AM

I have the GO! and I don't think it is useful for cutting little scraps., myself.
I cut up larger scraps for a tumbler quilt and that was great, but for cutting small bits into 2 1/2 inch squares, I think it would be easier to do by hand.
Since using it for the Tumbler I haven't really found much use for it and have decided to sell it as I find it easier to just rotary cut things. A lot of people really like them, though.

Watson
Old 07-30-2019, 04:55 AM

Don’t think using it to cut up a bunch of strips then having to subcut into squares sounds like fun. Can you use it to cut small scraps into squares? Quote

Yes, there are dies to cut multiple squares. Yes, you can use the strips and then cut across the for squares.

Reference chart for calculation of fabric, squares, etc.

https://www.accuquilt.com/media/refc...hart-QQJ29.pdf

I have the Big and also purchased the baby recently. The machines are used 3-4 times a week. No problem with set-up as they stay set-up. Easy to use for small dies or as a take along on class day. Less exposure with the rotary cutter is always good in my book.

The site offers free pattern for different sized blocks. There is something for every scrap size.

Our LQS has a national accuquilt educator and offers classes every month plus die demo.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Another thing to think about: storage and weight. Do you have space to leave it out all the time, or will you need to be moving it because I think it can be quite heavy for some people. I know that in my kitchen, I would never use my KitchenAid Mixer as much if it were put away in a cabinet or shelf, so it has a dedicated space on my counter. I don't have the room to leave out an Accuquilt cutter since I share my quilting space with the guest room.

If you have shoulder, back, or neck issues, you'd also want to consider if hand crank vs electric is the way to go for you. Weight would also be much more important then, as I believe the electric weighs much more than the hand crank. It also takes up quite a bit of room when they're opened for use.

On the other hand, a slotted ruler is easy peasy to store
Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I recently bought the Studio, and a bunch of strip cutting dies. Due to travel and other projects I haven't really used it much yet, but I will!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 AM

One of the ladies in my small group loves her cutting system. She brought it to group for us to try it.

It was ok but I don't think it's for me. I've never minded the cutting part of the process and I do a lot of fussy cutting. I certainly don't have the space for one.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I use my Accuquilt Go more then my rotary cutter. It saves me time so I can do the part I like best, sewing the quilt together. No aches from standing at the cutting table too long. I do use the hex and circle die to cut scraps for hexies and yo yo's. Perfect circles in ten seconds make me smile.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:55 AM

I cut up every last piece of left over material for scraps so I would not like the waste with the cutting systems.

I wonder if spending money on changing the rotary cutter blades more often might the cutting of scraps less onerous? You'd get a lot of blades for the cost of these systems.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:12 AM

I use my Go Baby for applique usually, but it's great for cutting scraps to hexi or applecore shapes. They always fit so well together! Looking for clamshell die now ☺
Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
I use my Go Baby for applique usually, but it's great for cutting scraps to hexi or applecore shapes. They always fit so well together! Looking for clamshell die now ☺
here's a link to it https://www.accuquilt.com/go-clamshell-4-finished.html
Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

You'd get a lot of blades for the cost of these systems.
Too much time standing at the cutting table using up these new blades. My Accuquilt saves me hours of cutting time.