Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adding to stash question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-stash-question-t207766.html)

dray965 12-06-2012 05:31 AM

Adding to stash question

I am a new quilter and have, thus far, made 6 quilts (working on the 7th). . . so I have some fabric in my stash that are scraps from those projects.

I read that many of you have a stash, in that you see fabric and add it to your stash for future projects. I would like to take advantage of sales and do that as well...but I don't know how much to buy since i don't know what I will be using it for.

So here's the question: How much do I buy to add to my stash?

Thanks for the advise,
Dray - SE Oklahoma

paulswalia 12-06-2012 05:35 AM

If I really LOVE it, 2.5 yards. That's enough for borders cut lengthwise on a good sized quilt. Otherwise I let the price decide, buying either one or a half yard. Careful - when you leave your room after a day of sewing and shut the door, these scraps multiply - don't just believe me - others will say the same thing too!

Jingle 12-06-2012 05:53 AM

I tend to buy larger pieces, like 4-6 Yards. If I want to make a quilt using a main fabric I want to make sure I have enough. I have made a two fabric quilt twice and that is a good way to use up large yardage. It is best to buy fabrics that could be used together. I don't always do that.

feline fanatic 12-06-2012 06:00 AM

I have numerous stash building criteria. If I absolutely love the fabric and can't live without it I buy a minimum of 4 yards. If the sale is can't pass up good and the color is a neutral or a blender I will buy up to 8 yards, especially if it is a light neutral like cream or light tan, can always use it as a background color. Additionally if I find a really awesome sale like $3 per yard or less I will buy 8 yards as that is usually ample yardage for backing one queen size quilt or a couple of smaller quilts. I don't always coordinate my backing to the front. If I am shopping a batik sale I will buy in 2 or 1 yard chunks depending on color. If I am not familiar with the manufacturer or the fabric is of unknown quality I will buy smaller pieces as well. If I only spent $3 per yard and received a yard of not so nice fabric it isn't so bad.

lfletcher 12-06-2012 06:00 AM

If I really liked a fabric, I use to buy 3 yards. However, I have a decent sized stash and I don't pull from it as much as I would like. Generally, when I find a quilt I want to make, I end up buying new fabric as I can't seem to find the just right fabric in my stash. Also, my taste has changed over the years. Therefore, I would caution you from buying too much for your stash. However, by all means buy the ones that you just love.

Lori S 12-06-2012 06:03 AM

I think it depends on how many colors you like to use in a quilt and what size you typically make. I like lots of differnent fabrics so for me buying a yard is usually enought... but if its a great fabric on sale and is going to work its way into more than one quilt 2 yards. If you are a three color quilt kinda of quilter 3 yards or 3.5 if its going to be a focus and its going to be a bed quilt... king size better add another 1.5 yards minimum.
White on White or Cream on Cream prints .. I use tons .. so if it on sale ( a really great sale).. sometimes 6 yards or I have been known to buy whats on the bolt.

Becky Crafts 12-06-2012 06:43 AM

I make a lot of scrappy quilts. I buy fat quarters for variety and I buy 1-2 yds at a time when I can. I've made a lot of pretty quilts. Occasionally I have to go out & buy a special piece for a project, but I'll buy 1/2 yd more than required so I'll have some left for another quilt down the line.

alleyoop1 12-06-2012 06:59 AM

Anyone who has made 6 quilts and is working on their 7th is NOT a new quilter! You probably have more experience than a lot of Quilt Board members! Keep up the good quilting work.

PaperPrincess 12-06-2012 07:03 AM

If I like it, I get 1 1/4 yards (this way you can cut 42" strips from the width or the length)
If I love it, I get 3 yards
if I want to marry it, I buy whatever's on the bolt...

Gramie bj 12-06-2012 09:00 AM

I have a med size stash and have stoped buying fabric unless I lave a planed use for it, and try to pick at least 1 fabric from my stash for any new project. My taste in fabric has changed in the last few years so I have a lot a fabric that I loved when I bought it but look at now and say "what was I thinking?" LOL When I was buying it was a min. of 2.5 yd. up to 8 yd if I thought it would work for backing.