Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding to stash question

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma

Adding to stash question

I am a new quilter and have, thus far, made 6 quilts (working on the 7th). . . so I have some fabric in my stash that are scraps from those projects.

I read that many of you have a stash, in that you see fabric and add it to your stash for future projects. I would like to take advantage of sales and do that as well...but I don't know how much to buy since i don't know what I will be using it for.

So here's the question: How much do I buy to add to my stash?

Thanks for the advise,
    Dray - SE Oklahoma

Blog Entries
    If I really LOVE it, 2.5 yards. That's enough for borders cut lengthwise on a good sized quilt. Otherwise I let the price decide, buying either one or a half yard. Careful - when you leave your room after a day of sewing and shut the door, these scraps multiply - don't just believe me - others will say the same thing too!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I tend to buy larger pieces, like 4-6 Yards. If I want to make a quilt using a main fabric I want to make sure I have enough. I have made a two fabric quilt twice and that is a good way to use up large yardage. It is best to buy fabrics that could be used together. I don't always do that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have numerous stash building criteria. If I absolutely love the fabric and can't live without it I buy a minimum of 4 yards. If the sale is can't pass up good and the color is a neutral or a blender I will buy up to 8 yards, especially if it is a light neutral like cream or light tan, can always use it as a background color. Additionally if I find a really awesome sale like $3 per yard or less I will buy 8 yards as that is usually ample yardage for backing one queen size quilt or a couple of smaller quilts. I don't always coordinate my backing to the front. If I am shopping a batik sale I will buy in 2 or 1 yard chunks depending on color. If I am not familiar with the manufacturer or the fabric is of unknown quality I will buy smaller pieces as well. If I only spent $3 per yard and received a yard of not so nice fabric it isn't so bad.

If I really liked a fabric, I use to buy 3 yards. However, I have a decent sized stash and I don't pull from it as much as I would like. Generally, when I find a quilt I want to make, I end up buying new fabric as I can't seem to find the just right fabric in my stash. Also, my taste has changed over the years. Therefore, I would caution you from buying too much for your stash. However, by all means buy the ones that you just love.

I think it depends on how many colors you like to use in a quilt and what size you typically make. I like lots of differnent fabrics so for me buying a yard is usually enought... but if its a great fabric on sale and is going to work its way into more than one quilt 2 yards. If you are a three color quilt kinda of quilter 3 yards or 3.5 if its going to be a focus and its going to be a bed quilt... king size better add another 1.5 yards minimum.
    White on White or Cream on Cream prints .. I use tons .. so if it on sale ( a really great sale).. sometimes 6 yards or I have been known to buy whats on the bolt.

I make a lot of scrappy quilts. I buy fat quarters for variety and I buy 1-2 yds at a time when I can. I've made a lot of pretty quilts. Occasionally I have to go out & buy a special piece for a project, but I'll buy 1/2 yd more than required so I'll have some left for another quilt down the line.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Anyone who has made 6 quilts and is working on their 7th is NOT a new quilter! You probably have more experience than a lot of Quilt Board members! Keep up the good quilting work.

Blog Entries
    If I like it, I get 1 1/4 yards (this way you can cut 42" strips from the width or the length)
    If I love it, I get 3 yards
    if I want to marry it, I buy whatever's on the bolt...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have a med size stash and have stoped buying fabric unless I lave a planed use for it, and try to pick at least 1 fabric from my stash for any new project. My taste in fabric has changed in the last few years so I have a lot a fabric that I loved when I bought it but look at now and say "what was I thinking?" LOL When I was buying it was a min. of 2.5 yd. up to 8 yd if I thought it would work for backing.

I find one I love and will buy three to five yards and one yard fabrics to go with it. I buy one yard of a lot of solids to have around if needed and I use them often.

Power Poster
    If I think it might be suitable for a backing - and the price is 'reasonable' or it's on sale or clearance - and the fabric is nice - 5 to 10 yards of it, if available

if I want to marry it, I buy whatever's on the bolt...[/QUOTE]

Rofl. That is cute but God knows then I am married to a LOT
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

I did a marathon expenditure once, a small LQS in Tooele was going out of business and they carried top of the line fabrics, when they had their remaining fabric at 50% I bought $597. worth. But I ended up with enough fabric for several quilts. What I did was buy all of what they had in differnt lines, so I would have fabrics that match. I was a very fun and sad day since that was my very favorite store.
    Gail in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    if I want to marry it, I buy whatever's on the bolt...
    Rofl. That is cute but God knows then I am married to a LOT[/QUOTE]

Now that is too funny, my first thought when I read your post was "she should live in Utah".
    Gail in Utah

I usually buy 3-4 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Crafts View Post
    I make a lot of scrappy quilts. I buy fat quarters for variety and I buy 1-2 yds at a time when I can. I've made a lot of pretty quilts. Occasionally I have to go out & buy a special piece for a project, but I'll buy 1/2 yd more than required so I'll have some left for another quilt down the line.
    I do this exact same thing. I have a LOT of FQ, and just about all my prints are 1 yard. Solids are usually 2 yards. If it is a REALLY good price on a neutral fabric, I might go 3 or 4 yards, but that's rare.

I started out buying tons of fat quarters. But as time passed when it came to using them they were mostly good for scrappy quilts or a paper piecing project or tote bags. All of which I rarely made.

Now if I see a fabric that I think is "interesting" I buy 1/2 yard. If I see one I "like" a lot I buy 1 or 1 1/2 yards of it. If I see a fabric that I "LOVE" I buy 3 yards. That way I am assured of being able to use them happily in a quilt.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I evaluate what I'm likely to use it for. If it's a great focal fabric and I'm likely to use it in blocks and the border of a queen size quilt I buy a minimum of 5 yards. For those fabrics that are more likely to be the blenders I generally get 2 yards. Since I tend to use several different fabrics of one color in a quilt I also buy tone on tones in fat quarters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gail-r View Post
    I did a marathon expenditure once, a small LQS in Tooele was going out of business
    Gail, I'll bet I'm one of the few members on this board who knows the how to pronounce Tooele. LOL

Dray, you can see there are lots of different methods of building your stash. I think it's one of those areas of quilting where there are not rules. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Not much help, I know. But consider the comments above about your quilting style and color preferences and go from there.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Well, I can honestly say I am NOT a fabric bigamist (or polygamist as the case may be), but I have been "friended" by more fabrics than I have room on my "page" for!

When I began quilting 30-some years ago, I chose to 3/4 - 1 yard cuts of lots of fabrics that would work together. I never buy "theme" prints and I rarely buy very large prints. That's not to say I don't/won't use them; they are just not my usual fabric purchase or preference.

A large percentage of what I buy is blenders/reads-as-solids/tone-on-tone/low-contrast small prints. I prefer prints with "movement" in the design.

This allows me to pull from my stash almost exclusively for "go-withs" if I find a fabric I want to get engaged to.....(though I have found over the years that most of these relationships do not last long )

My stash now has hundreds of fabrics in small amounts less than 1 yard. I make quilt after quilt from just my stash, not all scrappy either. If I don't have enough of a particular fabric, I consider that a design opportunity -- why use just one red fabric in a quilt when 7 different ones will make it even 'richer'?! I enjoy 2 color quilts, say blue and white, but I'll make it with 16 blues and 10 whites, and feel the "look" is more appealing and rich.

Every once in a while I find that I've been pulling a lot from one color stack of fabrics and I'm getting low on reds, for example. I go out looking for sales on red fabrics and buy what they will let me....one yard if I have to, less if I can. In the past 3-4 years we have had a lack of good, pretty yellows on the market; that's a color family I will need to buy for soon for my collection.

Jan in VA
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I try very hard not to buy for stash. I don't have alot of space (though I probably have more space than money) and my tastes/interest are varied. That being said the smallest amount that I will buy for stash is usually 1 yard. If I know that I would use it as a border piece than 3 yards and if I know it will go with a variety of styles and colors then I might take 3+. It just depends on what I *think* I might use it for. I don't purchase too many fat quarters anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
    I try very hard not to buy for stash. I don't have alot of space (though I probably have more space than money) and my tastes/interest are varied. That being said the smallest amount that I will buy for stash is usually 1 yard. If I know that I would use it as a border piece than 3 yards and if I know it will go with a variety of styles and colors then I might take 3+. It just depends on what I *think* I might use it for. I don't purchase too many fat quarters anymore.

I too try not to buy stash either.....When I decided I wanted to make quilts, I went through my "OMG....I need a stash". So, I went on a buying spree of fat quarters thinking that would build it quicker, then went on buying 2 or 3 yards of fabric if I liked it. Then when comes time to work on a project, I still have to buy fabric or now when I look at my stash, I see a lot of fabric that I don't know why I bought it. I'm sure I got a good deal on it or loved it at the time, but now it just takes up space! I have a small bedroom devoted to sewing and I have at least 6 totes and an armoire I bought at a garage sale full of fabric. I still have to go buy something when I start working on a project.

I base my fabric buying on two principles: do I have a particular pattern in mind? eg stack and whack quilts take many repeats of fabric so it is no good buying one yard of a fabric if that's what you might like it for; and how annoyed am I going to be if I come to use this extremely unusual fabric and find that I need 1/2 yard more, but it is no longer available?

I learned my basic quilting skills from a dear friend, and I cannot tell you how many times I watched her drive all over town trying to find another 1/2 yard of something because she had only bought 1/2 yard to begin with. Now, whenever I am confronted with a fabric I like but have no immediate use for, I think of her and buy an extra yard!!

Alison

Just keep buying for projects and your stash will build. I used to buy for my stash and now have far too much and most of it will never be used. Plus fabric does go out of date and style. There will always be sales and the money I have wasted in unused fabric would easily pay for price increases.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast