Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advanced project! Flimsy finished! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advanced-project-flimsy-finished-t322178.html)

sewbizgirl 01-09-2024 07:16 AM

Watson, that's an amazing modern quilt, even if it was a tedious sew. All those diagonal seams would wear on anybody, but the end result is spectacular. Glad you hung in there.

Would love to see your candy quilt, Pet, once you get it back.

My surprise advanced quilt is a Winding Ways, made from templates by Marti Michell. I always wanted to make a WW, but never considered how hard the piecing would be. It was NOT enjoyable and I will not make another one.

Macybaby 01-09-2024 08:01 AM

I can't think of any tops that ended up a lot harder than I expected, but I have made several that I expected to be a lot harder than they turned out, and some that I expected to be hard - and they were.

There have been several times I've read over a pattern and thought - wow, doing it that way would be hard- and changed the method to something a lot easier. Sometimes it's because they wanted you to buy a special tool, and for me the tool was actually more work.

MariaM 01-09-2024 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 (Post 8631139)
Oh I bought packages of 10x5 inch cuts and had never heard of the before. can't remember what they called it. maybe log something....

Those are Jolly bars sold at the Fat Quarter Shop. They are exclusive to them and the name comes from the owner's last name - Kimberly & Kevin Jolly.

bkay 01-10-2024 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 8631167)
An extremely poorly written and error-filled "precision piecing" online class. The workbook is full of errors and the instructor hasn't fixed them despite being asked to by several students. The workbook also doesn't match the videos for the cutting plan. Fabric is being wasted due to incorrect cutting instructions, and templates for applique and paper piecing are printing out too small (even when printing "actual size/100%"), forcing "experimentation" to figure out the right manual scaling for printing. I have one last block (of 12) to go, and I will be so very glad when it's done. The class was not cheap, and I will never take another of that instructor's classes nor buy any patterns she produces.

What's made it "advanced" is that rather than learning within the class, I'm having to search for other tutorials and use other tools (buy templates/rulers) to actually produce usable blocks.

Any class that was that bad would deserve naming, so no one else gets to learn any more "advanced" techniques from the presenter. If you inadvertently hired a bad painter, you would tell your neighbors not to hire him/her. A person who sells a quilting class should be held to the same standard.

bkay

petthefabric 01-10-2024 12:29 PM

My student wasn’t getting it. I said,”I’m a visual person. I’m having a hard time finding words so you can understand.” Using a visual, she understood immediately. Sometimes communication makes it advanced.

Peckish 01-11-2024 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8631467)
Any class that was that bad would deserve naming, so no one else gets to learn any more "advanced" techniques from the presenter. If you inadvertently hired a bad painter, you would tell your neighbors not to hire him/her. A person who sells a quilting class should be held to the same standard.

bkay

I agree 100%.

mkc 01-11-2024 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8631467)
Any class that was that bad would deserve naming, so no one else gets to learn any more "advanced" techniques from the presenter.

I was under the impression that naming businesses we were dissatisfied with was not permitted here on QB. I know I had posted a caution about a vendor a few years back that I'd had an experience with and that post was deleted and one of the moderators PM'd me to explain why.