Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advanced project! Flimsy finished! >

Advanced project! Flimsy finished!

Advanced project! Flimsy finished!

Old 01-06-2024, 06:11 PM

Default Advanced project! Flimsy finished!

Saw a pic on QB that inspired me to use “candies”. Turned into a lesson in “advanced” project. I’m so glad to have it out of sight, there’s not a picture. Even cleaned up all evidence of that project and replaced it with next project. It’s ready for longarm by someone else. It’s made in columns of bias candies with 2.5” sashing. Next time I see it, just need binding.

what projects do you have that were surprise “advanced” projects? What makes it advanced?
Old 01-07-2024, 04:00 AM

Surprise Advanced to me means it will take me more time to complete a project because I have to learn a new technique or use a new ruler or template to complete the pattern. It takes me by surprise that I am not as fast a learner as I thought I was going to be. ))
Old 01-07-2024, 06:33 AM

what are candies, please?
Old 01-07-2024, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by laurilli View Post
what are candies, please?
They are 2.5" inch squares! I remember being quite confused the first time I saw the term, too, along with a bunch of other quilter-ese words. :-)

If you're intrigued, you should check out the 2024 Birthday Candy thread - so many fun projects!

Last edited by Gemm; 01-07-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:39 AM

Oh I bought packages of 10x5 inch cuts and had never heard of the before. can't remember what they called it. maybe log something....
Old 01-07-2024, 12:26 PM

Not sure if it qualifies as "advanced", but I just bought a pattern for a Christmas tree skirt and it is almost all templates! If I had of known that I would have never bought it!

Maybe this one qualifies as "advanced"? I didn't choose it...My boss had me do it for a shop sample. The entire thing is sewn on 45 degree angles. The way you would put binding together. And, the organization to make sure you didn't get two of the same fabrics near each other was insane. Definitely not my favourite but it turned out OK. This was before it was quilted.
Watson

Attached Thumbnails img_5234.jpg  
Old 01-07-2024, 02:48 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
what projects do you have that were surprise “advanced” projects? What makes it advanced?
An extremely poorly written and error-filled "precision piecing" online class. The workbook is full of errors and the instructor hasn't fixed them despite being asked to by several students. The workbook also doesn't match the videos for the cutting plan. Fabric is being wasted due to incorrect cutting instructions, and templates for applique and paper piecing are printing out too small (even when printing "actual size/100%"), forcing "experimentation" to figure out the right manual scaling for printing. I have one last block (of 12) to go, and I will be so very glad when it's done. The class was not cheap, and I will never take another of that instructor's classes nor buy any patterns she produces.

What's made it "advanced" is that rather than learning within the class, I'm having to search for other tutorials and use other tools (buy templates/rulers) to actually produce usable blocks.

Last edited by mkc; 01-07-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:42 PM

Default 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
They are 2.5" inch squares! I remember being quite confused the first time I saw the term, too, along with a bunch of other quilter-ese words. :-)

If you're intrigued, you should check out the 2024 Birthday Candy thread - so many fun projects!
Yes, Yes, come by the 2024 Birthday Swap thread found in "Member Swaps and Round Row/Robins". I know the messages says the cut off date has past, but we did not have any January birthdays, if you are interested, you can still join us. PM me if you have questions about this year long swap.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:07 PM

I've quilted many years, and have become experienced enough to know the limits to my patients. Recently, l started buying more acquilt go dies ( love those BOBs. ) Most are a joy to cut/ sew...however, the one l have problems with is a pretty little 8" ' Hattie's choice'. There are similar but minutely different triangular shapes that are difficult to tell appart. I've never considered myself dyslexic, but l find l must remove/ resew pieces on this one at times. Even with carefully orienting straight of grain correctly and using a scant 1/4" seam, they are often not same size as next. I've learned to just put alternate blocks between, or sashing, because placing them in rows together the junctions of all thos seams tend to be bulky, even if pressed open.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the info, I have some I got 2 free with an order from Connecting threads, they called them mini charm packs. I will look at the Birthday candy thread as I was wondering what to do with these. They are called Quartz Metallic tonals.