Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Thread Help >

Buying Thread Help

Buying Thread Help

Old 01-11-2024, 05:07 AM

Default Buying Thread Help

I bought 2 spools of thread yesterday at JA because I needed light tan to attempt my FMQ. $16!!! They weren't cones, just spools! I was gifted some cones of white that I love. Can I have a few suggestions of sites that ya'll shop? I'm new to longarm FMQ (sit down). I tried searching threads for "thread"-futile.
I also have not figured out how much thread is used to quilt all over. I was a SITD-er and learned how much thread I will need for that, but for FMQ, I didn't want to run out of the color. So I bought a large spool. Another learning curve.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:49 AM

Yeah -- thread has gone up sharply in the past few years!!

If you haven't yet discovered the Superior Threads website yet, it is probably time to do so:
https://www.superiorthreads.com/

There is another thread currently on the front page that talks about the company having been sold. I haven't bought any new products from them in the last 2 years, but I had no issues with them pre-sale.

Lots of good info and lots of threads at reasonable prices. Free shipping if you buy enough -- as you've found it usually doesn't take all that much any more, a couple of cones and some specials or "try me" threads. I first started buying direct from them when my friend got a long arm. We had a terrible time winding a decent bobbin with her machine and locally (a few years ago) Type M bobbins were just not really available in our area.

Some people swear by one brand or another. Poly threads have been developed which are much different than the threads of the 70s... no problems with ironing heat. Some people want to use all cotton thread, some donation groups (especially for preemies) require all cotton thread. If using all cotton, the typical favorites are made with Egyptian cotton (like King Tut) because of the long fibers. For metallic thread, I like Superior metallics line, it didn't kink, wasn't hard to use and was reasonably soft.

I used basic Coats and Clark threads for the first 30 or so years of my quilting back when I was told that the poly core was not advised because it would cut through the cotton fabric -- I never found that an issue, even after decades and lots of washing my seams stayed intact. As a result of the machine quilting/pre-wound bobbins, I did some experiments with my home machine and found that I liked So Fine thread just fine with my bobbin. Then I bought a huge box of So Fine cones from a professional long armer who decided she liked another thread better and was downsizing. Did some more tests and with a few adjustments, am now typically using it both top and bottom.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM

Thanks! You're the best!
Old 01-11-2024, 06:36 AM

I have an Innova quilt machine and she loves pretty much all threads. I've used Connecting Threads cotton spools, polyester cones, Fufu polyester embroidery threads, BFC Creations's metallic threads, Aurifil, Bottom Line and Superior's microquilter threads so far. The thread that came with my machine, she didn't care for so now I use it to piece with. At the price of threads these days, I'm not throwing anything out if another machine will use it.

Last edited by Snooze2978; 01-11-2024 at 06:37 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-11-2024, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I stopped buying thread for the ridiculous prices of some name brand ones. Most have so many spokespeople who have lots of influence over quilters to push the use of them. and of course get all their thread free. It is good thread but they aren't getting my money. I use poly thread for piecing and quilting. I buy Maya 120 from Wawak online and Sew Complete from Superior. Also Essential Pro from Connecting Threads has more award winning quilters using it then you realize. I have talked to too many non thread spokespersons who won awards at big quilt shows and they all use poly thread. All machines are testes at factory using poly thread and the tension is set on them for poly thread. Poly will not harm cotton fabric over time. If I use cotton thread I use CT Essential or Missouri Star cotton thread. I use Glide prewound bobbins from the money I save not buying over priced thread.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:17 AM

I really like Superior Thread's "So Fine." It's thinner, so it blends in and you can't see my oops's.

I've learned that Coat's and Clark's is an expensive thread when you price it by the yard. It's less expensive by the spool, but they don't put much thread on the spool.

I've heard good things about Wawak, but haven't tried it.

Maxilock actually works well for machine quilting, and is pretty inexpensive. I was skeptical at first about using a serger thread, but I learned that Kathy of Kathy Quilts uses it more than other threads.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:30 AM

Here are 2 places I like to buy thread online

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/
and
(use the drop down menu at the top: "threads") https://www.longarmsupplies.net/#

all of my fave threads are here at pretty good prices, and I watch for sales

this is another good place...with low US shipping charges
https://redrockthreads.com/pages/superior-threads

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 01-11-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I won't buy C&C thread. Not much on the spool for the cost. Over priced for the type of thread it is. I am very happy with Sew Complete and Maya 120. I do have lots of different brands of thread collected over the years. Honestly they all sew the same to me.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:55 PM

I have a very good supply of several different threads. I so like to long arm with SoFine and OMNI. Both are poly threads by Superior. I used cotton threads such as Aurifil, Mettler, King Tut. They all worked fine in my machines. I think one thing you can do is try and break each thread. I have tested some threads where you can easily pull them apart seeing the thread unravel. That I would give a strong NO. Good to look at how much thread is on the spool or cone and the price per meter or yard. I think a meter is about 1 yard, 4 inches. A large spool of Gutterman 50 weight cotton is 800 m (876 yd), A large spool of coats and clark general purpose thread is 274 m (300yds), and a large spool of superior's 60 wt the Bottom Line is 1,420 yds. A cone of SoFine 50 wt is 3,280 yds. Small spool of Aurifil cotton 50 is 200meters, the large spool is 1300 meters. A large spool of Aurifil cost $14 The last time I was in a shop. The large spool of Aurifil looks to me like it would hold a little more then Gutterman but actually holds 500m more. I was thinking of using SoFine to piece with once I used of more my Aurifil. One is cotton, one is poly. Question is poly a plastic? I have been reading about all the nano particles of plastics now in all of us.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:36 PM

My favorite thread is Glide for FMQ and piecing. It's made in the USA and comes in dozens of colors. It's a polyester thread that is virtually lint free. At $12 for a 5500 yard cone, it's also reasonably priced. If your local quilt shop doesn't carry it, you can find it on Amazon or at: https://www.just-threads.com