Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Thread Help >

Buying Thread Help

Buying Thread Help

Old 01-11-2024, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
My favorite thread is Glide for FMQ and piecing. It's made in the USA and comes in dozens of colors. It's a polyester thread that is virtually lint free. At $12 for a 5500 yard cone, it's also reasonably priced. If your local quilt shop doesn't carry it, you can find it on Amazon or at: https://www.just-threads.com
I like Glide too
This has 60wt glide - 5500 yd cone for $9.49
https://www.longarmsupplies.net/prod...lyester-thread
Old 01-12-2024, 04:16 AM

I use Connecting Threads, Essential, 100% cotton cones. I watch for sales and buy a few at a time. I've found that I like it the best. Even though they don't have a lot of color choices in the large cones, I haven't had any issues with going with them. No matter what color my fabric is, one of the available colors of the large cones will go good with it. Or, if you use a lot of completely matching colors - they also have a huge selection of smaller spools of Essential. I prefer to use cotton thread and stay away from the poly.

I usually quilt/piece using basic colors, and use the antique color the most as I like my quilts to have that old fashioned look.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:58 AM

I buy Glide thread, I have three machines I use it in and it works great in all of them. I usually order it from Amazon or if I see it online on sale I'll stock up.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:53 AM

Thanks so much for the info.
How about metallic thread on the longarm? I haven't approached that yet. Any advice? (I have a Q16 Bernina.)
Old 01-12-2024, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

A while back I went to a meeting that had a representative from the YSL I think the initials are company. He brought all their threads and described them and then said use whatever thread you and your machine like to get the result you like. I also use serger cone thread for FMQ and despite all the cautions given previously I have never been disappointed in how it behaves in my machine or after many washes. I do t expect my quilts to last hundreds of years. I use a lot of different brands and types
Old 01-12-2024, 06:10 AM

I used the Superior Metallics on a smaller project (comfort quilt), using my Bernina 820 and not on a long arm. I found it very easy to work with, but I used it as a top thread only.

Back a couple decades ago the metallic threads were pretty horrible... thick, broke often, scratchy, and were better used as bobbin threads -- thicker fancy threads can often be used in the bobbin as they have less distance and turns in the pathing.

Not a very good picture but here's that project attached below.
Attached Thumbnails eww-closeup.jpg