Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice for christmas gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-christmas-gift-t71014.html)

KatFish 10-19-2010 12:18 PM

My Mom gave me a sewing basket for Christmas when I was 10. It had all the sewing goodies, and a kit to sew a stuffed dog and some quilt squares. That gift stands out amoung my childhood favorites.

My DD just started taking an intrest in sewing. Pillowcases are her favorite things to sew. She loves making them for herself as well as friends and family.

Lori S 10-19-2010 12:55 PM

At that age cutting can be rather problematic. They just do not have the patience for accuate cutting. Maybe put in some 6 or 8 inch precut squares that she can get right to the sewing part.
or a few fat quarters. At that age I was pretty intriged with sparkly or shinny fabrics and anything purple.
My Mom gave her granddaughter a good pair of sissors that she took to an engraver, and had a message for her on them. No it was not ... Do not use on paper!

Butterflyblue 10-19-2010 01:19 PM

I'm putting together the same sort of thing (but only for hand sewing) for my daughter for christmas. I'm thinking a bunch of different embroidery threads, cute needle book and pincushion, scissors, a charm pack, a spool of thread, and maybe a kids sewing book with projects (but the idea of printing out stuff from the internet is good, too. There are a lot of cute cute projects and tutorials online).

I plan to share my stash with her, as well, but I figure a charm pack will give her something to "play with", trying out fabric combinations and the precut pieces will be good for her since she can't cut well at all.

How about some marking pens or pencils, or tailors chalk? Also a seam gauge. If she's going to quilt, maybe a set of basic acrylic templates.

steelecg 10-20-2010 04:31 AM

all really good ideas - I have a 6 year old granddaughter that is beginning to show some interest - I love the ideas here

CarrieAnne 10-20-2010 04:35 AM

UpNorth, that is the cutest basket! I want to make one!!!!!!!!

Derla 10-20-2010 05:08 AM

I have seen a great book for kids learning to use a sewing machine. I just googled "beginners sewing book for kids" and several titles came up - one of those might help her get started.

nana4baj 10-20-2010 05:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about the magnatic bar so you can mark the 1/4 inch for her so she can easily have a straight line.............I gave my grandaughters sewing machines for their 10th birthday. They love them and they have already made quilts.

quiltmom04 10-20-2010 07:32 AM

I have a magnetic pin dish with a cover that would be great for a young sewer. Won't have to worry about spilled pins or pins coming out of a pin cushion.

Bonbonary 10-20-2010 09:07 AM

I am also teaching my 8 year old granddaughter to sew. She was having trouble keeping her stitches straight so I got her a presser foot with a 1/4" seam guide. It's been a great help to her. Also I cut blocks for her so we have ready-to-go projects to work on together. (I'm still nervous about handing her the rotary cutter!) I've made patterns for her to take home and she has traced them and cut them out with a scissors. A few easy patterns are fun. Right now we are working on the tiny treat bags for Halloween from the "Quilts and More" magazine, fall issue. She loves it and is making one for each of her classmates. She's providing the bags and the room mother will fill them up with candy & such. Have fun with her!

WhyMe 10-20-2010 09:30 AM

You could include one yard of cotton print in her favorite theme (kitties, butterflies, whatever), enough to do a bed pillow. Then take her shopping for the rest of the kit items she needs to do the pillow - scissors, etc.

She will appreciate you being nearby while she sews. You could both work at the kitchen table, on different projects. As said before, it is the gift of time that will never be forgotten.