Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice needed re paper piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-re-paper-piecing-t32786.html)

Deecee 01-01-2010 01:11 AM

After looking at lots of great paper piecing pics on this board I decided to have a go.

I am happy with how my little project turned out but I have some questions.

1. I used foundation paper that I purchased in a pack (translucent vellum paper) but wonder if there is something else that is easier to remove. (I did shorten my stitches.)

2. After sewing the seam and then trimming to 1/4" I am finding my thread is unravelling slightly and then when I remove the paper it unravels more. In the instructions I followed it said to sew a few stitches beyond each end of the line, which is what I did. Have I stitched too far - should I stop and secure the thread within the seam allowance before trimming.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-01-2010 02:39 AM

Don't have any advice, but would love to see what you made.

stitchinMamaw 01-01-2010 05:57 AM

I backtack at beginning and end of each segment . This way your thread won't unravel . Annie

DA Mayer 01-01-2010 06:15 AM

I am going to attempt this type of piecing soon and I read that a smaller stitch length should be used. I would think this would help. Is your tension correct on your stitches?

BellaBoo 01-01-2010 11:07 AM

I love paper piecing. I use a very short stitch length. So short that the paper almost falls off when I'm finished sewing. I use an old Singer to paper piece and the stitch length can be set at 30 per inch! I have no idea what that length was used for. You started with the best paper. Everyone loves vellum paper for piecing, if you haven't tried other papers then you will probably go back to vellum. Just be sure it's the thin vellum, like tracing paper.

I stitch about 1/4 inch past the end sewing line and have no problem with the stitches raveling but once again the tiny stitch length is the key.

kluedesigns 01-01-2010 11:22 AM

i just counted a piece and i stitch 25 stitches per inch and i too sew about 1/4 or so past the lines.

the vellum paper i use is 17 weight and like bellaboo it just comes right off with zero effort.

eparys 01-01-2010 11:24 AM

I have done several PP projects. I am, however very cheap. I use regular printer paper for the foundations. When I sew them I do a quick reverse at the start and end to stop the unraveling when removing the paper and I shorten the stitch. Just before I go to remove the paper, I "fold" the paper on the stitch line and I rub a Q-tip dipped in water along the seam (let it sit for a minute or so). The paper comes off perfectly (usually) :-)

Quilt Mom 01-01-2010 11:41 AM

Lots of good advice already...

I shorten the stitch, and backtack the seams.
Another trick I learned was to fold the paper along the seam line before trying to tear it away. (I haven't tried vellum yet; will have to do that.) The fold has helped. Also you can lightly run the tip of a seam ripper along the seam (careful not to catch the thread :oops: ) to help cut the paper. Even with regular printer paper this works wonders. Oh, and I keep tweezers handy for the little pieces that do not release.

We'd love to see your blocks :thumbup:

BellaBoo 01-01-2010 11:49 AM

Here is a link to a great price on vellum paper. I don't know the shipping cost but it's sent UPS ground. Even with shipping the price is great for vellum. I also use the thin deli paper sold at Sam's Club. It's dirt cheap but mostly I use that for foundation piecing as it won't go through my printer.

http://www.paperplus.com/productdeta...p?bvn=10016356

amma 01-01-2010 11:51 AM

On my machine I set my stitches to 1.8 and I stitch 3 stitches in the seam line at the beginning and ending of each seam. I fold the paper over to crease it also, and pull it off, tugging it towards the outside of the block. I use copy paper and never have trouble with it pulling the stitches while removing it.