Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice Needed on Yo-yo Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-yo-yo-quilt-t297389.html)

Daylesewblessed 06-04-2018 09:57 AM

Advice Needed on Yo-yo Quilt

2 Attachment(s)
I acquired a yoyo quilt, and it does not have a backing. It seems to me that to be at all practical, the yoyo top should be fastened in some way to a back. Even lifting the yoyo quilt as it is now seems risky, since it puts so much stress on the connecting threads.

What has been your experience with this? If I were to choose to use a backing, what are the possible techniques for attaching? Should connections be at every yoyo? Attach at the natural connection points where yoyo's meet each other or in the centers of the yoyo's?

The Bible Camp is interested in this being a possible raffle quilt, but only if it has a back. I need help!

QuiltnNan 06-04-2018 11:26 AM

beautiful yoyos, sorry no experience

Rhonda K 06-04-2018 12:57 PM

It'a a beautiful quilt. Hopefully, other posters can help you with finishing it.

nannykins8 06-04-2018 01:39 PM

I have two yo yo tops gifted to me. They have no backing and I am not sure what to do with them.
I will be anxious to see what answers you get

PaperPrincess 06-04-2018 01:48 PM

I have seen a couple with backing, but most of the ones I've seen are without. I think they were used like a lace coverlet, not for warmth or to actually sleep under, but just for decoration.

nativetexan 06-04-2018 01:50 PM

nor me but my avatar picture is me on one! openings and all. no idea who made it though. i know lots of people make yo-yo's without backings.

Jingle 06-04-2018 02:01 PM

No experience with yoyo quilts. Seems to me the joining of them should be secured, Then I would tie it to a back very close and cut the tails somewhat short.

Gay 06-04-2018 03:54 PM

I will be watching this thread, as I was given a small yo-yo quilt to finish, & really don't know what to do with it. It's only cot size, but so heavy I don't like to add more to it - the puffs are made with curtain/upholstery fabrics. The maker zig-zagged the puffs together and to the backing (calico, of all things). Maybe I will just put a binding on & call it done.

Perhaps you could attach to a backing with some back stitches by hand to help stabilize.

Genden 06-04-2018 03:57 PM

I am sorry if this is an uninformed question, but it appears to me that you have the yo-yo top spread out on a blue fabric that you are thinking of backing it with. Am I correct? I like your choice of blue fabric. If it were mine, I would tack it to the blue fabric in a perle cotton in the open triangles just the same color as the blue backing fabric, catching under the edges of the yo-yos. Maybe the centers would look better, but I am thinking it would be harder. I would experiment. I know it will be heavy and unwieldy, but worth it. How nice it would be if a group of you from the Bible Camp worked together. Many hands and laps would support the weight and it should be a fun social gathering. If I have misunderstood and the yo-yos are already attached to the blue fabric, I would just bind it as is.

AliKat 06-04-2018 04:29 PM

I remember seeing one in a quilting magazine many many years ago. It had a backing and each yo-yo was anchored to the backing. Guess you could machine tack them.?.