Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please - Snaps and snap tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-snaps-snap-tools-t283182.html)

KenmoreGal2 10-22-2016 05:59 AM

Advice please - Snaps and snap tools

I have made bike handlebar bags, both quilted and non. I'd like to make more and also to tweak the bags so they can be used as walker/wheelchair bags too.

I've used velcro as the top closure and also to attach the straps to the bike handlebar. I dislike sewing velcro so much that I'd like to try snaps instead but I have almost no experience with them.

I've done some internet searching but I'd like advice from those of you who have done this before. I'm thinking of getting a set of the special plier like tools to attach the snaps. What do you think? Any recommendations? Also what size snap would you recommend? I typically make my handles with double fold fabric, so 4 layers of cotton or maybe a tad heavier fabric.

Thanks so much!!

carslo 10-22-2016 06:08 AM

I have used the snap tools that I bought at Joanns to make kerchiefs out of the material they use on the outside of babies diapers and two layers of cotton. The waterproof material is fairly thick and after some practice the kerchiefs hold up very well with constant washing. I used these kerchiefs for my special needs student constantly for 5 years and they still snap well.

KenmoreGal2 10-22-2016 06:09 AM

Would those be the Dritz brand? Did you use the blue plastic tool or the one that looks more like pliers? Thanks!!

tessagin 10-22-2016 06:28 AM

I would buy the heavier duty.

KenmoreGal2 10-22-2016 06:31 AM

Can you recommend a specific brand of tool and/or specific size of snap? Thank you.

I've also read that often the brand of snap has to match the brand of tool used. Have you found that to be the case?

SHELTIE'SMAMA 10-22-2016 06:53 AM

Have you considered that those using these devices have hand issues too? Velcro is easier when strength and grasp are a factor for this population. Good luck with your endeavor whatever you decide.

yel 10-22-2016 06:58 AM

I tend to use the snaps that you have a small metal tool that comes with them and you hit them with a hammer ...I pick them up at the local tractor supply place ..have seen them in other stores as well ..might even look to a automotive shop the ones the put on tonto covers

Onebyone 10-22-2016 07:00 AM

I never could get the pliers to work right. I used the tool and hammer.

KenmoreGal2 10-22-2016 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA (Post 7682841)
Have you considered that those using these devices have hand issues too? Velcro is easier when strength and grasp are a factor for this population. Good luck with your endeavor whatever you decide.

Thank you for raising that issue. I did consider this. I'm planning to donate them to a local nursing home. The population there is quite impaired. The staff tells me the residents don't need to store anything of value in the bags, maybe tissues and a chap stick. They rarely leave so they would not be carrying a wallet or phone. For some residents, the bags would be more decorative than anything else.

I figured the staff can put the bags on the walkers and they probably won't be removed. So the snaps are ok there. I was wondering if I should simply sew the bag up the middle (top to bottom) which would divide it into 2 smaller pockets. That would keep it sort of closed and then perhaps no closure would be needed at all.

IDK, I'm still thinking. I'd appreciate suggestions. Nothing is written in stone yet and whatever I decide, I'll make one and take it over for testing before I make more.

Oh, I should add that I'm not planning anything complicated. For one reason because I want to make as many as I can and don't want to take a terribly long time on each one. And also because I'm still sewing at a basic sort of level. I can make a nice basic bag and do a good job. But nothing too fancy yet.

KenmoreGal2 10-22-2016 07:26 AM

I'm thinking now that it would be nice to be able to put a snap at the top of a tote bag too. Not for seniors, just for anyone.