Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-t35345.html)

scolle 01-30-2010 07:40 AM

I place one pin staight in (at 90 degrees) through both blocks at the exact place of the points. Keep that pin at that 90 degree angle - don't make the 2nd entry into the fabric. Then I place one pin on either side of the first pin - very close to the first pin. Those two pins are inserted perpendicular to the fabric, coming in at a very flat angle - insert completely. Then I remove that first pin. If you insert a pin at a 90 angle, then flatten/tip it to make the 2nd stick, you immediately shift that top fabric, and your points will not line up. Hope can follow this verbal-picture.

Beachbound 01-30-2010 07:44 AM

Personally I think your blocks look great.Relax! but that's just me :-)

MillieU 01-30-2010 08:52 AM

I don't think they look all that bad. Keep trying.

Olivia's Grammy 01-30-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
That happened to me and I put buttons over the ones that were really bad.

Love your attitude. And a very interesting detail, I'm sure.

newestnana 01-30-2010 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I stick a pin through both points, lining them up together, then I pin on both sides of the points. By doing this I end up with perfect points about 98% of the time. (The other 2% is operator error, lol.)

I had the same problem and found it was somewhat better when I bought very fine pins. I stuck a pin straight down (not on an angle) through one fabric's ideal spot and then straight down through the other one. Then carefully bring the pin up to secure it. This kept the pieces from shifting.

Also, I'd use a very long basting stitch to sew about a two-inch seam at the center (i.e., not all the way across the block) ...checked it out and if okay, sewed the whole seam with a regular length stitch. After a while it seemed to get easier and I could even omit the basting...

Good luck with this! So far it has been my biggest challenge.

Jeniver 01-30-2010 02:49 PM

I Do my seams that way and it is almost foolproof. That is, I press the seams in oppisite directions and then fit them together as I sew.

Lizzygail 01-30-2010 03:29 PM

I know people talk about pressing to the 'dark side' in most cases but I've found when trying to match points, pressing 'open' works best for me. I get almost perfect points that way!

Lizzygail 01-30-2010 03:31 PM

I know people talk about pressing to the 'dark side' in most cases but I've found when trying to match points, pressing 'open' works best for me. I get almost perfect points that way!

Jamie 01-30-2010 04:03 PM

It's possible to I wasn't leaving 1/4 inch of fabric at the ends to help make the points, I was trimming down the fabric before sewing it together, then trying to line the seams up.

Carol W 01-31-2010 04:50 AM

I like your blocks!!