Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice please!

Okay so this is my first attempt ( well honestly second..first time didn't go great ) at making a Pinwheel block...No matter what I do I can't seem to get my points in the center to line up exactly. I'm using as accurate of a 1/4 inch seam as I humanly possibly can, so I don't think it is that...any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My sister pins them at the place where they meet and they go much better.

Blog Entries
    Can you post a picture?
    Sometimes as we sew the very last few stitches, the fabric tends to veer to one side. Could that be it?

Blog Entries
    I also glue baste my intersections, for me, pinning sometimes distorts the seams and I get better results this way.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/pinwheel.htm

This website helped my pinwheels along. The top is now done and looks pretty good. I just can't seem to get to quilting it.

If you sew from the middle out, then middle out again it will help. Kind of a pain to do, but it works.

Blog Entries
    Make sure that when you are sewing the first two blocks together they are a good match. Other wise when you sew them into the units you are showing, the centers will be off. :wink:

I stick a pin through both points, lining them up together, then I pin on both sides of the points. By doing this I end up with perfect points about 98% of the time. (The other 2% is operator error, lol.)

I pin, pin, pin. That way you know your seems and points will come together. After you have your squares done then you square them up before you go on.

Blog Entries
    HST are tricky to get perfect. What helped me the most was having the dog ears cut off before I sewed the triangles together. If one block is off the whole pinwheel will be off.

What are your measurements for cutting as well? as your points on the side are not where they are supposed to be either.

When you finish the two halves of the block, then you need to press your center seams. One side going one way and then the other side in the opposite direction, then there are opposing seams that nestle together when you place them together to sew them. This makes sewing them much easier. Put the seam on top that will push the other one into the seam line. The one seam is pushed into the other while sewing and it is almost fool-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    When you finish the two halves of the block, then you need to press your center seams. One side going one way and then the other side in the opposite direction, then there are opposing seams that nestle together when you place them together to sew them. This makes sewing them much easier. Put the seam on top that will push the other one into the seam line. The one seam is pushed into the other while sewing and it is almost fool-proof.
    Great advice!

This is all great advice thank you....Maybe it has something to do with the way I am cutting it, I am simply cutting it corner to corner....

I read somewhere a forked pin was good for were seams meet. it pins in on both sides of seam/lump. I think it was in the new issue of BH&G quilting magazine.

Good luck,

I'm galloping by on that horse...looks great! Actually, I'm glad you posted. I love the look of pinwheels, but haven't used them yet. They look simple, but I guess that's decieving. Isn't that always the way with quilts? I'll be following this thread for all the suggestions. Best of luck with your quilt and can't wait to see it all done.

I just went back and noticed that you put them together a bit off, it is a double pinwheel that you did and the two that make up the other half is all over the place, one side is the same and the other is all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    If you sew from the middle out, then middle out again it will help. Kind of a pain to do, but it works.
    I never thought of doing them that way, but it makes sense. I'm going to try that.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but I looked at the pic and can't really see such a big problem. If you try reducing the bulk in the center by changing the way you press, they will lay so much flatter and I think you'll be happy about them. I mean, they aren't even 1/16th off- or am I missing something?

Blog Entries
    They always say practice practice practice

Blog Entries
    i agree with red nestle works great

I had problems also with points. I use a brass stelleto now and hold the points until they go under the needle and have no more problems.

That happened to me and I put buttons over the ones that were really bad.

Thanks Loretta...thank goodness I have lots of colorful buttons :) I don't think I am doing horrible at my first try, but to be honest I am so jealous of how brilliant you all are, I feel like my blocks are poop! It's supose to be an easy starters block, so I can't figure out why none of it is turning up perfect.

Blog Entries
    you can sew 1/2 of the block and press seams to one side, then make the other half and press to side. then place together and pin on either side of the center seam and sew. press the center seam open if necessary.
    or you could press all seams open and sew 1/2 and the other. either way the center seam should be perfect. just takes a bit of practice. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast