Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please! >

Advice please!

Advice please!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pottstown Pa
Posts: 518
Default

Okay so this is my first attempt ( well honestly second..first time didn't go great ) at making a Pinwheel block...No matter what I do I can't seem to get my points in the center to line up exactly. I'm using as accurate of a 1/4 inch seam as I humanly possibly can, so I don't think it is that...any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65622.jpe  
Jamie is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
Posts: 10,477
Default

My sister pins them at the place where they meet and they go much better.
Boston1954 is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
amma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out searching for some sunshine :-)
Posts: 58,857
Default

Can you post a picture?
Sometimes as we sew the very last few stitches, the fabric tends to veer to one side. Could that be it?
amma is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
amma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out searching for some sunshine :-)
Posts: 58,857
Default

I also glue baste my intersections, for me, pinning sometimes distorts the seams and I get better results this way.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm
amma is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The middle of an IL cornfield
Posts: 7,014
Default

http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/pinwheel.htm

This website helped my pinwheels along. The top is now done and looks pretty good. I just can't seem to get to quilting it.
Lisa_wanna_b_quilter is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Marjpf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greater Los Angeles Area
Posts: 1,903
Default

If you sew from the middle out, then middle out again it will help. Kind of a pain to do, but it works.
Marjpf is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
  #7  
Power Poster
 
amma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out searching for some sunshine :-)
Posts: 58,857
Default

Make sure that when you are sewing the first two blocks together they are a good match. Other wise when you sew them into the units you are showing, the centers will be off. :wink:
amma is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Tiffany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Idaho Falls
Posts: 1,907
Default

I stick a pin through both points, lining them up together, then I pin on both sides of the points. By doing this I end up with perfect points about 98% of the time. (The other 2% is operator error, lol.)
Tiffany is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,660
Default

I pin, pin, pin. That way you know your seems and points will come together. After you have your squares done then you square them up before you go on.
Honey is offline  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
  #10  
Power Poster
 
BellaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Front row
Posts: 14,647
Default

HST are tricky to get perfect. What helped me the most was having the dog ears cut off before I sewed the triangles together. If one block is off the whole pinwheel will be off.
BellaBoo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
greaterexp
Main
30
08-07-2015 09:05 PM
cny_sewer39
Main
2
08-27-2011 05:21 PM
Homespun
Pictures
79
08-23-2011 11:18 AM
Debbie Wade
Main
10
02-15-2007 07:46 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.