Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice on using pounce pads please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-using-pounce-pads-please-t120265.html)

saf 05-02-2011 06:05 AM

Has anyone used the 'iron off' pounce pads to mark their top for quilting and if so are there any drawbacks please? Don't want to spend money on something that is going to leave a mark that comes back to haunt me later.

ontheriver 05-02-2011 06:08 AM

I have one and tried to use it a couple of times, It marks the design fine if you get real close to look at it. Problem is it does not show up dark enough for me to see it unless it is on black or very dark fabric. Was looking for the powder in other colors but not found any yet.

Holice 05-02-2011 06:10 AM

You use it like an eraser and rub it over the stencil.
You don't pound it. I like it as you can mark as you go and don't have to do the entire quilt.

kathy 05-02-2011 06:24 AM

i use it often and have no problems, most of the time i use a small sponge bruch to apply it though because using the eraser applicator works best on a hard surface and i mark after it's on the frame, and if yo don't iron it off it comes right out in the wash

saf 05-02-2011 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
i use it often and have no problems, most of the time i use a small sponge bruch to apply it though because using the eraser applicator works best on a hard surface and i mark after it's on the frame, and if yo don't iron it off it comes right out in the wash

Thanks Kathy. Having seen a demonstration on the Golden Threads website, I think that this might be just the thing for a newbie like me.

ruck9085 05-02-2011 06:47 AM

Personally, I find it to be a huge p.i.t.a!! You have to really "pounce" the chalk onto the template and when you start to sew, the chalk comes off and the lines are so light you can barely see them. I am using it now on d-i-l's dark purple quilt and it shows up great until I start to quilt then slowly vanishes. Could be because I'm left handed, or maybe not. Anyway, I usually wind up tracing the design with a water soluble quilters pen so I can see the design.
Oh, and the left handed remark is because I hand quilt.

bjeriann 05-02-2011 07:32 AM

I was told to get different colors you can use colored sidewalk chaulk mixed with the white powder chaulk. Has anyone ever tried that?

Bobbinchick 05-02-2011 07:57 AM

I have one and I love it. All I do is pat it to the stencil a couple of times until the powder comes out and then rub it all over the section that I want to mark and then quilt it and I have pressed it off. It will come off in the wash or you can use a damp cloth, not wet, just damp. Love mine but want to find the powder in diffrent colors so I can mark the light colors. I will no doubt buy a new pounce thing also, then I'd have one for lights and one for darks. They do have the dark available I do believe I saw some at joann.com site Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

Just Me... 05-02-2011 09:07 AM

i like the iron off...not fond of the regular. I have a longarm and it bounces off (the regular) before I get it quilted.

fabric_fancy 05-02-2011 09:19 AM

i have no problems with it. i mark an entire quilt top and load it onto the long arm frame and it doesn't wear off.

the iron on is great for everything but light fabrics and for the light fabric i use the glow in the dark iron off and just turn on the black light and i can see the lines without any problems.